Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Shortening a dana S60

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 04:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Shortening a dana S60

I was wondering if I had my dana s60 shortend could the axles be resplined or would I need new axles? Also what is the shortest I could go per side without mini tubing?

I am planning on getting new wheels in the future and was tossing this idea around because I love the look of deep dished wheels!
Old 10-26-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or just sell Travis your rear end and go with a Midwest chassis 9"
Old 10-27-2011, 12:05 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to say it but the cost that adds up with narrowing a rear end you are almost better off starting with new. The shop labor to cut the housing down that ranges from $150 on up and then the labor to have axles re-splined if you can at all but if you have to purchase new then the $379 plus shipping on those. Then if no one local does this you will have shipping back and forth on these items. Heck what some people don't even think about is the hidden cost of new fluid, possibly bearins, seals and then the cost of new brake lines because the factory ones are to long now.

To answer your question most common is -3 per side but if I recall a S-60 because of the lower LCA bracket they only do -2.5 per side. Been awhile since we sold a narrowed one as the most common S-60 is stock width.

2002camaroSS thanks for the kind words.

Last edited by MidwestChassis; 10-27-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I found axles for $320, $200 to shorten and only have to pay shipping on the axles. The rearend probably could use new fluid and bearings anyways.

I don't think I could get more than 2k out of my dana so really its probably cheaper to just have it done. Dont get me wrong I would love a MWC 9inch but that would be another 1200 or more if I sold the dana than getting the one I got shorten for 600.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:52 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree if you can do it at a good cost it is well worth it. Even selling your s-60 and going with another could be an option. We are no different than anyone else and understand purchasing new and losing out on the old isn't always the best route. This is also why we have rear ends in the shop all the time getting narrowed.

This is kind of what makes the 9" so popular, you could keep your center section and sell your housing and just purchase a new housing and axles. Cutting your cost and loss down some.

The axles I gave you a price for was the same axles you currently have in the S-60 from Strange. Be careful on axles as the last thing you want to do is cheap out on them and get away from having that bullet proof S-60.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis
I hate to say it but the cost that adds up with narrowing a rear end you are almost better off starting with new. The shop labor to cut the housing down that ranges from $150 on up and then the labor to have axles re-splined if you can at all but if you have to purchase new then the $379 plus shipping on those. Then if no one local does this you will have shipping back and forth on these items. Heck what some people don't even think about is the hidden cost of new fluid, possibly bearins, seals and then the cost of new brake lines because the factory ones are to long now.

To answer your question most common is -3 per side but if I recall a S-60 because of the lower LCA bracket they only do -2.5 per side. Been awhile since we sold a narrowed one as the most common S-60 is stock width.

2002camaroSS thanks for the kind words.
Yea transam and I have three buddies that have your 9" setup I have nothing but good to say about it I would recommend it to anyone!