Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What should I Do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I Do?

so i have stock 10 bolt and v6 gears (engine swap). I want to change gears to 4.11's im pretty sure and not sure if i should change to 9' or 12 bolt at same time. this car is a DD and wont be seeing the track much, most times i get on it im going to be from a roll and its a M6. Do you guys think the stock 10 will be able to handle it?
Old 11-25-2011, 08:24 PM
Launching!

First off, Is your whole rear v6? If so, it has an open diff right now iirc. Good news to that is the rear will take less of a beating for the time being. Bad news is its an open diff and those are just no fun. And for the price of a new posi, it isn't even worth it IMO

The answer most people will give about the ten bolt is maybe but probably not. I had bad luck with my ten bolt, one of the times I broke it I wasn't even beating on it. At this point I'm a strong advocate of the idea of building a ten bolt to hold a little more power if your set on keeping it, but at the same time doing that would cost you a decent chunk of change. If you went with a new posi, that would be $400ish, $160 for gears, $120 for install kit, $20 for a solid pinion spacer, $150 for a rear cover, might as well freshen bearings while your in there , etc etc, you end up spending a nice chunk of change on something your not sure of anyhow and you have to be mindful to be careful of all the time. I dumped cash into my ten bolt twice and I can say to me it wasn't worth it in the end, and so far I am not very modded at all although it seems I'm a little more abusive to my car than you plan to be.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2kblackgtp
First off, Is your whole rear v6? If so, it has an open diff right now iirc. Good news to that is the rear will take less of a beating for the time being. Bad news is its an open diff and those are just no fun. And for the price of a new posi, it isn't even worth it IMO

The answer most people will give about the ten bolt is maybe but probably not. I had bad luck with my ten bolt, one of the times I broke it I wasn't even beating on it. At this point I'm a strong advocate of the idea of building a ten bolt to hold a little more power if your set on keeping it, but at the same time doing that would cost you a decent chunk of change. If you went with a new posi, that would be $400ish, $160 for gears, $120 for install kit, $20 for a solid pinion spacer, $150 for a rear cover, might as well freshen bearings while your in there , etc etc, you end up spending a nice chunk of change on something your not sure of anyhow and you have to be mindful to be careful of all the time. I dumped cash into my ten bolt twice and I can say to me it wasn't worth it in the end, and so far I am not very modded at all although it seems I'm a little more abusive to my car than you plan to be.

Yeah, there will be maybe 2-3 runs at dragstrip a year, so my local dyno center said gear instalation will be around $650, and would i be better off just buying a 9' rear end?
Old 11-26-2011, 10:04 AM
Launching!

If you arent doing the gear install yourself then yes yes yes get a 12 bolt or 9 inch instead. $650 plus what I mentioned before will bring you to about 1500 as is, at that point you are pretty close in price to a used 12 bolt or 9 inch
Old 11-26-2011, 03:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

No way I'd sink money in a 10. You'll have 1/3 or better the cost of a new MWC set up. I'd leave the 1 legger in there until your ready for a 9". I wouldn't do a 12 bolt either. they're the same cost and the 9 is stronger. I've heard to many horror stories about them whining.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

So what would total cost of whole new rear end with 4.10s be around? And I need to do this over winter cuz im driving with the stock v6 gears can't even light the tires up in first with them!!
Old 11-26-2011, 05:27 PM
Launching!

Depending on what you're looking for in a rear, cost is usually 2200 to 2800 from what I understand. That is also why I suggested finding a used 12 bolt or 9 inch. I agree with vandyke ta, if you're buying new just go for a 9 inch, but used I would honestly just go for the best deal you can find.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mwc 9 if you have the money and want new,used i would do a moser 9.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I think Midwest chassis' 9" and torque arm packages start at 2700 shipped with a spool and no abs. It really just depends on how you want it. Which carrier and what not. The only bad thing I see about a 9" is you need a longer driveline which adds to the price.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:24 PM
Launching!

That's a good point, even getting the stock driveshaft lengthened isn't really cheap
Old 11-27-2011, 08:07 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by thegerberbaby
So what would total cost of whole new rear end with 4.10s be around? And I need to do this over winter cuz im driving with the stock v6 gears can't even light the tires up in first with them!!
http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-9-I...c-Truetrac.htm
$2450.00 for a Moser 9 inch with either a Trac-Loc or a Truetrac, shipped to your door.

http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-9-I...with-Spool.htm
$2300.00 shipped to your door with a spool.

These Moser rears ship out just two days after the order is received. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 11-28-2011, 11:01 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thegerberbaby
so i have stock 10 bolt and v6 gears (engine swap). I want to change gears to 4.11's im pretty sure and not sure if i should change to 9' or 12 bolt at same time. this car is a DD and wont be seeing the track much, most times i get on it im going to be from a roll and its a M6. Do you guys think the stock 10 will be able to handle it?
It is hard for anyone to suggest putting money into a 10-bolt because the out come is usually always the same. They just don't seem to last once you start laying down the power and put on a sticky tire.

We can get you into exactly what you need and our prices start at $2700 shipped which includes a torque arm and cross member of your choice. This is for a fabricated rear end that will not have any fitment issues and bolts in the vehicle just like a stock 10-bolt came out.