Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

bad pinion bearing or install

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad pinion bearing or install

I do alot of reading on this site to try and prevent posting a problem, but this is something im trying to source a good solid opinion on from fbody owners. I recently had 373sa installed. By recently I mean not even 60 miles ago. New installation kit with new pinion bearings. Everything is motive gear. After install I notice a light whine be it on acceleration deceleration or coasting. I have them check the rear. All torque specs are good, pinion bolt fine, wear marks perfect. Now I was never shown this so tomorrow im going to check wear marks myself. My question is, if everything IS in spec with great wear marks, is it possible im hearing a pinion bearing? Even in neutral the whine shines. The car has lt headers, ory, slp loud mouth. So its not like its a slight whine. The car sounds like a jet on acceleration, and a pack of wolves on deceleration. Any solid input is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I have rebuilt a lot of 10 bolts. Nearly all have been setup to what I think have been identical. The only ones that have made noise were Summit gears 4.10s, and my own 3.73 Motives, though I did buy the Orange box version. Are you aware of which version you put in? Blue box or Performance Orange box? You can tell by the part number on the ring gear if you need to check. I do believe the orange box are more prone to noise as I believe they are a more aggressive cut on the gear. The blue box are listed as "stock" replacement and every set I have installed have been dead silent.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:43 PM
Teching In

The box was orange in color. Id have to check the number to confirm but I ordered them from summit and remember reading about them being a more "performance" based gear. I have a few buddies that have aftermarket ring and pinions and no one has heard anything like mine, which is why I want to see the markings for myself. Is there really that much of a more aggressive cut between the 2 motive brands? I mean the car howls. If its just noisy gears that's fine, but im concerned its something worse I suspose.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some "performance" gear sets are softer to keep them from breaking when shock loaded. The downside is they wear out quicker. I believe your problem is the gears are not set up correctly. Remove the cover, check the pattern.

Al 59 Z28
Old 01-04-2012, 07:03 AM
On The Tree

Default 10 bolt

I have a question my 01 ss rearend makes a constant whine noise,even with my foot off the peadal,so I had new Richmond 373 put in with all new bearings,I still got the same whine noise,could it be a bad axle,axle bearings were changed to but they said that one axle had a little wear on it,the gears are set up correct cause I saw the pattern.

Quick Reply: bad pinion bearing or install