Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How easy does keeping the stock gears make a full bearing job?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 02:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How easy does keeping the stock gears make a full bearing job?

I have rear-end noise which I think is just the wheel bearings but I'm a novice with rearends and I think there is another problem. I definitely have a slight whine at about 50-60 mph and the main growling/howling pitch starts at 20 mph and definitely changes when I'm on the throttle. Leading me to believe there are pinion bearing issues as well as maybe carrier bearing issues. I just wanna keep the same 3:23 gears I have in there and replace the wheel bearings, pinion and carrier bearings. Does this make the job easier? Can I use the same shims I took out and simplify the setup? Do the gears themselves other than obvious breakage wear out and start whining, therefore requiring replacement? I have the wheel bearings and seals but don't really want to waste all that time if it doesn't fix the problem.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:07 AM
On The Tree

I'll drop the diff cover tomorrow first I think and try to visually inspect the carrier bearings and look for any other trouble signs, I'll spin the ring and pinion gears and fully inspect them before I continue to take the axles out and all that. BTW anybody know what a shop would or should charge to just rebuild the rear end with NO gear swap?
Old 01-09-2012, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

Its hard to say, even if you change all the bearings and put it back together, it may not be right back like it was. Your best bet would be to go on and put a ring and pinion in it. If it is making gear noise due to some of the bearings going bad then that means the ring and pinion has moved out of alignment and is not running in the same place it did when the factory set it up. You take a chance on it still making noise after you change out all the bearings. You might as well start from scratch.

Ratech makes a full install kit with all the bearings in the rear end, even the wheel bearings. And use a Ratech spacer, instead of a crush sleeve.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's definitely easier to change bearings if you keep the old ring and pinion. The bearings at the ends of the axles have nothing to do with the bearings in the pumpkin. They are the "wheel bearings." When you pull the cover look for small groves in the ring gear, if they are there the noise is the ring and pinion. You can look through the old threads about changing bearings and what to do and not do.

Al 95 Z28
Old 01-11-2012, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

well I popped off the cover and tried to inspect the gears, they appear to be fine with no excess tooth wear or grooving or anything. I spun the tires by hand while it was open and I definitely heard a dragging type of noise, It did not appear to be at the wheel bearings but closer to the pinion area. I'm gonna just save for a month or two and get a full rebuild kit with upgraded 3:73 gears, maybe axles too. I have no other mods so once this is rebuilt I expect it to hold up just fine for a long time.