Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Some 12 bolt questions, bearings/fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 03:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Some 12 bolt questions, bearings/fluid

So I know I'm supposed to use conventional oil in the Moser 12 bolt, but what weight? Also would you run the limited slip additive from Advanced Auto or no, I should def. drive 20 minutes out of my way to a GM dealership for it?

For axle bearings does anyone know the part number for Napa? I had made a thread before and Bob posted a number, but my local Napa looked at me like I had two heads. Its a Moser 12 bolt, with an Eaton posi, if that will narrow down what axles I have.

Thanks! Changing the fluid tomorrow and may or may not need an axle bearing so if anyone knows, please let me know asap!
Old 01-13-2012, 07:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Seems I want 80w-90. No one has ever gotten axle bearings for their 12 bolt locally?
Old 01-13-2012, 07:57 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I've always used 85w140 in my Strange 12-bolt and use Ford friction modifier (got it from Summit Racing) since I have an Eaton HD posi.

As for axle bearings, I know that Strange uses a rather large (and I would guess not standard at all) bearing in the axle tubes, so if I ever needed one, I'd likely turn to someone that does a lot of business with Strange to find one. Not sure how Moser does theirs.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah the bearing turned out to be OK, looks like all the various seals were also in good shape. Ah well, whole rear got a good bill of health so I guess its all good.

Looks like the vibration is due to the gear setup, only shakes when really transitioning off the throttle at higher speeds.

Hopefully the leak is stopped, the inner seal may not have been exactly where it should have been. Ah well.