Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Limited Slip

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limited Slip

I need to know where to buy clutch packs for a 98 camaro factory auburn lsd.
High performance if possible. Please help. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

Auburn doesn't have clutch 'packs' if you're referring to packs as used in a conventional Eaton clutch pack LSD,they use 'cone' clutches. Auburn doesn't sell or make available replacement cones because as the cones wear,so does the inside of the carrier housing against which the cones ride/slip.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am just about sure mine are worn out...is there any way to get it spinning posi again without buying a new posi unit or welding the spider gears...dont want a spool or anything like that...this is my daily driver and i cant stand spinning just 1 tire or having to turn left to hook posi...Any suggestions...Thanks in advance...and thanks FirstYrLS1Z
Old 01-22-2012, 08:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

If the cones are worn to the point that they no longer have friction against the inside of the case,the cones are/have moved away from each other and as that happens the compression on the springs has drastically lessened and ,also,the spiders(side gears) are moving away from each other and do not have proper amount of tooth contact and without proper full contact,they'll have a greater chance of breaking.
Used,but still serviceable,auburns are typically available in the 100-150 range.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as I know the cone type are not rebuildable. Chrysler used that type of LS unit in the 9.25" truck rear end and it was service as a complete assembly.

Al 95 Z28

Quick Reply: Limited Slip