Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Possible bent axle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible bent axle?

Since I got my car about a year ago, I've had periodic squeaking from the passenger side rear and vibration/wheel hop from the passenger side rear when braking. Just recently I jacked the car up and observed the wheel wobbling, took off the wheel to eliminate an unbalanced wheel and saw it was still wobbling, and finally took of the caliper and it was the same story. Do I have a bent axle?

Second part to the question, I have a 3.23 rear end in the garage (I have 2.73's stock), would it work to use the axle out of that rear end? Or would it be more beneficial to swap out the whole unit? Would it cost a lot to get that rear checked out to make sure I can just swap it it? And I'd also need to factor in a tune with the gears to make sure my speedo was calibrated. What would you do?
Old 02-08-2012, 01:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you're right. If the axle flange is wobbling the axle is bent. You can change the axle or swap the rear end if the rest is the same. If you change from 2.73 to 3.23 it should accelerate better but your speedometer will be off. Easy to fix.

Al 95 Z28
Old 02-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Launching!

if you have acess to jack stands or a lift put the vehicle in the air and it drive and check the wheel if it hops or wobbles very well the axle can be bent
Old 02-08-2012, 07:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Big Al
Sounds like you're right. If the axle flange is wobbling the axle is bent. You can change the axle or swap the rear end if the rest is the same. If you change from 2.73 to 3.23 it should accelerate better but your speedometer will be off. Easy to fix.

Al 95 Z28
x2... Well put.. I'd swap the rear. win-win..

Quick Reply: Possible bent axle?