Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Still undecided!!! Opinions please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 10:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Predator
What's interesting about my 12-bolt is that it did whine when I first put it in, but it got quieter as time went on. Now it's as quiet as my stock 10-bolt was. Maybe I'm just lucky, I don't know, but I did follow the break-in instructions to a T, plus I don't have sticky tires.
I have a spohn torque arm too, crossmember mounted. I think any solid torque arm with zero deflection is part of the problem. I followed break in instructions too, mine started making noise while I was breaking it in. I had to set my pinion angle to almost 0 just to remove vibration at speed.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
I have a spohn torque arm too, crossmember mounted. I think any solid torque arm with zero deflection is part of the problem. I followed break in instructions too, mine started making noise while I was breaking it in. I had to set my pinion angle to almost 0 just to remove vibration at speed.
You might be on to something. I stayed with the stock torque arm. There seems to be lots of variables that might contribute to either a noisy or a quiet rearend. Even how you drive the car seems to have a lot to do with it. I bet if I went to the track my rear would start whining. Anyway, I went with the Strange 12-bolt and Eaton posi knowing that I was setting up a street car. For this application, it's been great. I certainly can't speak for anyone else.