Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What carrier is this? And is this noise normal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 12:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kblackgtp
So someone potentially left the preload springs AND shimmed it to make it too tight? I bought it off a member on here who said it had a locker, possible they shimmed too tight, said screw it and tryed to pass it off to someone else? Would I be better off just buying a new posi or should i try to rebuild/ reshim it myself?

One other thing I noticed is it is MUCH quieter before the car is heated up, is it possible that it stays quiet because the gear oil is thicker cold? Could I possibly quiet it up for now by adding 140wt gear oil to the diff instead of 90wt?
I doubt they tried to shim it. if they thought it had a locker, they probably didnt run the LSD addative, as lockers do not require an additive and toasted it. once it toasted, they unloaded it on to someone else.

you could possibly quiet it down, but I would **** can it and get a different posi/locker/spool...whatever you desire.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI in case anyone needs an answer to this problem in the future. I was noticing when the car was cold, the rear was quiet, but when it got to temp, would clunk and pop everywhere. Before I ordered a new carrier, I tried swapping out the regular80w90 for a 80w90 with limited slip additive in it already and added 2 bottles of the gm stuff for good measure. Did my figure 8's and the thing seems to have zero noise in it so I am very happy.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I didn't know auburn made a posi for a 12 bolt.
Yep, a couple actually.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI in case anyone needs an answer to this problem in the future. I was noticing when the car was cold, the rear was quiet, but when it got to temp, would clunk and pop everywhere. Before I ordered a new carrier, I tried swapping out the regular80w90 for a 80w90 with limited slip additive in it already and added 2 bottles of the gm stuff for good measure. Did my figure 8's and the thing seems to have zero noise in it so I am very happy.
all righty then............good to hear!

Quick Reply: What carrier is this? And is this noise normal?