Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Broke Cross Pin Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Broke Cross Pin Bolt

Any one have to deal with a broke bolt that holds the cross pin.. The Bolt is broken in the carrier, about 1/2 th bolt and will not allow me to remove the Pin.

Thanks

BC
Old 03-28-2012, 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

No one every have to deal with removing the bolt that has snapped off inside the carrier ?

I am not worried about doing damage to the carrier, as it is an open one and I am going to replace with a Posi unit of some type.

BC
Old 03-29-2012, 05:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

roll it over to make the bolt face the front of the car, find the biggest bfh u can get, the biggest socket that u can sacrifice that will fit on the big pin without getting stuck. proceed to bash socket with bfh. its either going to break whats left of the bolt of break the carrier.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

^^^ good idea,I'll have to remember that should the need ever arise. The pin part of that bolt isn't that big in diameter and should shear pretty easily.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've drilled them out. You just need to get it below the level of the pin and the pin will come out. Use a very good drill bit, the ones from Harbor Freight are not going to work. Sometimes the reason the retainer breaks is one of the small gears galls and sticks to the pin. Then the gear turns the pin and shears off the retainer. When this happens you are in for some fun trying to get the pin out.

Al 95 Z28
Old 04-03-2012, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ok guys. thanks for the suggestions.. I went with plan ElkySS's.. I went with the cheapest option, didn't have to buy anything !

I took a 1/2 drive 1/2" impact socket and hit it with a 10lbs hammer.. took about 4 good wacks before I was able to get the cross pin to move. A few more good ones and I was able to finally remove the pins and the C-clips..

I can now clean up the housing, mock up my LS1 brakes. The plan is to install a posi, some 3.73 and HD axles... but that is a bit down the road, got to finish my Brake, fuel and tranny lines 1st and continue with the clean up and mock up.

thanks much !

BC

Quick Reply: Broke Cross Pin Bolt