Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear end noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 10:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end noise

My rear end makes a humming and almost a metal on metal rubbing noise, i previously owned a 89 camaro and it made the same noise, is it just loud because the rear end is up in the car or am i up for some rear end fun? The car only has 40,000 on it so i cant imagine what has gone bad already.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the fliuds?
Old 05-15-2012, 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

you can check your level but my guess is something is broke or going.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:23 PM
Teching In

I checked the fluids today and they are fine, ive been told that i can shim the rear end and the noise will go away, anyone do this?
Old 05-16-2012, 11:50 AM
TECH Regular

Carrier B/L

If you mean shim the carrier I suppose this could be possible but you need to know for sure what the specs are before you start messing with it. Check it with a dial indicator for the backlash. You should be able to see on the face of the ring the desired B/L scribed in although if factory gears this is not always the case. Look for sonething around 8 to 12 thousands.

Pinion depth

This will also affect you backlash. When setting up gears you always start here first and everything else is shimmed off of this.
Yes the usually involves pressing on and off a pinion bearing with a new crush sleeve or desired pinion spacer.

Worn gears

Finally if you were able to make all of the correct adjustment with the pinion depth and carrier backlash and had be best looking pattern in the history of patterns it still may whine because the gears have already been worn in a crtain pattern together.

Summery

I bought my car with 4.10's that sounded pretty rough. With unknown mileage on them I opted to just put in a new set with all new bearings. I know it is new and done right.

If your set is factory you can usually get by with reusing the same shim on the pinion as a great starting point. I didn't have a pinion shim on my hacked up job so I had to start from scratch. I made a test pinion bearing out of the old one. I ground it out a little so it would just slip on and off the pinion for measuring purposes

Yes I did check the b/l on the old set before I removed them. I believe it was around 36 thousands. Oh yea well worn.

Good luck.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:18 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry I didn't want to make another thread or a similar Qs, how exactly can you check the fluid level with out it leaking all over? I just took my car to get fluid installed and it was making some noise, enough for me to notice , I have to be going slow to to hear it and I have to roll up my windows and turn my stereo off to hear so idk how loud these rears get? But to be honest long story short I don't think they put enough fluid again!! Idk
Old 05-16-2012, 07:58 PM
TECH Regular

There is a fill plug in front of the axel on the diff on the passanger side, Fill it until fluid runs out. Be on a flat surface, Replace the plug and your done!

Didn't mean to go on a rant.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:34 AM
Teching In

well i really dont think i want build a "junk" rear end cause eventually i will build the car so i guess ill just have to save up for a new rear end
Old 05-17-2012, 01:12 PM
TECH Regular

I ended up putting 250.00 in mine. I don't think I will blow it anytime soon. I don't take it to the track or put slicks on it.