Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

I purchased a Spohn driveshaft and this is what happens!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 11:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not even close to enough. When I got my new yoke, it is a mark williams 32 spline th400 yoke, which is counterbored 1 inch. I called mark williams and questioned how much spline engagement I needed. I was told a minimum of 1.5 x the diameter of the shaft. Roughly 2 inches in this application. Which you might have 2", but I don't think that it would have been into the bushing far enough. Pretty common to have a bad vibration from the ds being too short. The dyno just compounds the problem.

FWIW, I had Jason from TDP rebuild my trans. Couldn't be happier. I went with triple cone synchros and a 32 spline output shaft. All done with shipping was less than $2000. Yours is worse since you have broken parts, but the tailhousing might be usable if you did a larger output shaft, because it needs to be bored out anyway.

Best of luck putting it back together.

Ryan
Old 05-26-2012, 11:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Send me some info on tdp please, I got an m6 do they do those too?

Thanks
Zeke
Old 05-26-2012, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

http://www.texasdrivetrainperformance.com/t56.html

they are a sponsor. Yes, mine is a T56, just the upgraded mainshaft uses a th400 yoke.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Give jason a call from TDP a real good guy to deal with quick turn around as well he usually has 4-5 tranny's waiting to fully built and ready to go.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:49 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks sway I will on Tuesday!
Old 05-28-2012, 12:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Demonicbird00
not to hijack, but i had a similar headache w/ spohn a few years back about there "drag sway bar" they blamed the fitment issue on everything else.

hope everything works out....get a PST DS or Dennys well worth the money

-Brandon
I wasnt going to mention my trouble with spohn before, but.... FWIW, I did a swap for a customer, and ls1 into a third gen, the spohn k member was made 1 1/2" to short on the passenger side motor mount/stand. Had to cut up his brand new mount, and lengthen it, gusset it, and tig it back together.... Strange said there was no problem, even with the motor sitting 1 1/2" low on the passenger side, clearly in multiple photos.

Originally Posted by BlackLS1Bird
While that is possible, that slip yoke was only about 3/4" shorter than the other. There still would have been a good 3+ inches on the output shaft. And a change of 2 or 3 degrees of pinion angle as you come off the throttle isnt going to change the slip yoke travel enough to matter. People lift trucks 6 inches and use stock driveshafts a lot of the time. But I guess anything is possible. If it was the drive shaft I wouldnt put the blame on the slip yoke, but rather on it not being balanced correctly, not tightened to the rear end properly, or a messed up u-joint. Either way, if it has a noticable vibration, dont put it on the dyno. Just asking to break something.
You seem to not realise that even the stock shaft was too short for his application, so subtract another 3/4" on top of the 1" it was already short.....

My old ford pickup has an easy 7-8" long slip yoke, obviously there is more room for error in that.....
Old 05-29-2012, 01:59 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackLS1Bird
While that is possible, that slip yoke was only about 3/4" shorter than the other. There still would have been a good 3+ inches on the output shaft. And a change of 2 or 3 degrees of pinion angle as you come off the throttle isnt going to change the slip yoke travel enough to matter.
What really matters here is the yoke remaining in the bushing at max chassis travel.

The weak link in the 27 spline mainshaft is the grooves for the VSS reluctor retaining rings. One without those could take a fair amount more power.

That said, a 32 spline triple/double cone T56 is a wise move.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jmd
What really matters here is the yoke remaining in the bushing at max chassis travel.

The weak link in the 27 spline mainshaft is the grooves for the VSS reluctor retaining rings. One without those could take a fair amount more power.

That said, a 32 spline triple/double cone T56 is a wise move.
Thanks JDM, do you have any links to these parts?
thanks
Old 05-29-2012, 06:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
A nine inch really needs a one inch longer driveshaft that what a 10 bolt and 12 bolt requires. Check out the x dimension on the diagram at this link. http://shop.brutespeed.com/PST-DRA35...-PST-DRA35.htm
45.25 is the dimension we use for 9" rears. Bob
Bob is right, I had to have a 1inch longer drive shaft, almost thought it wasn't going to fit lol. sucks to hear but there is no slip or play with my 9' with the d/s. I bought the PST Aluminum 3.5" drive shaft. no issues
Old 05-30-2012, 05:40 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm running a Strange 3" chromoly driveshaft spec'd out by Midwest Chassis & Performance. They send the specs to Strange, and Strange builds it. MWC say this is the exact shaft they use for all Fbody stock trans to 9" builds. The thing is, everyone says they need a 1" longer driveshaft to make it work, but here is a pic next to a stock steel driveshaft from an Fbody. The shaft part is the same length, with a slightly longer yoke. And the pic with the engagement of the yoke into the shaft seems to be fine. Either way, it's running like a champ.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

Maybe the longer yoke makes up for it. Not that I like that as a solution, but if it is working for you, that is good. My issue would be if u ever needed to upgrade to a chromoly yoke and can't get a long one, then what? Looking at the picture of the slip in the trans: if that is at ride height, you are probably fine because of the long yoke, but the shaft could be another 1/4 - 1/2 inch longer and still be good.

Im also not sure if MWC might fabricate their housings so that a stock driveshaft works, where moser doesn't. Unsure, I never used a MWC rear.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:59 PM
12 Second Club

Wow, my driveshaft is way shorter than yours and so is the yoke!

Thanks for posting those pics up, it clearly shows they sent me a shorter yoke!

They need to stop sending these ds to other members so it doesn't happen to them!
Old 05-30-2012, 09:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 25thhawk
Maybe the longer yoke makes up for it. Not that I like that as a solution, but if it is working for you, that is good. My issue would be if u ever needed to upgrade to a chromoly yoke and can't get a long one, then what? Looking at the picture of the slip in the trans: if that is at ride height, you are probably fine because of the long yoke, but the shaft could be another 1/4 - 1/2 inch longer and still be good.

Im also not sure if MWC might fabricate their housings so that a stock driveshaft works, where moser doesn't. Unsure, I never used a MWC rear.

Well, all 9"s typically come stock with the "standard" (short) yoke, so any 9" with a standard yoke will be the same. They have a long yoke used in certain Ford vehicles, but most aftermarket 9" rears come stock with the standard shorter yoke.

Also, from what I've read, you should always make up the length within the driveshaft tube, not the yoke. This pic was taken on a drive on lift, so it's ride height, suspension all loaded.

If I ever need to upgrade the yoke, I bet all Strange yokes are the same lengths. I can't remember if this was a Strange or a Spicer yoke though

Originally Posted by litle88
Wow, my driveshaft is way shorter than yours and so is the yoke!

Thanks for posting those pics up, it clearly shows they sent me a shorter yoke!

They need to stop sending these ds to other members so it doesn't happen to them!
I know it's hard to accurately judge because the stock slip yoke is tilted on its side. I never noticed in the pic until after I already had the driveshaft back in. One thing to notice, however, is where the internal spline shaft of the slip yoke starts. If you're looking at the picture, the Strange spline shaft begins slightly higher than the stocker. So it's harder to gauge it's travel on the output shaft. Get what I'm saying?

Also, I've been told that Spohn's shafts are really made by Strange, I can't really confirm that honestly, just something I heard.

Last edited by HoLLo; 05-30-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:41 PM
TECH Resident

i hate to say this, but they are correct....you should have measured before installing. never leave anything to doubt.....
Old 05-30-2012, 09:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
i hate to say this, but they are correct....you should have measured before installing. never leave anything to doubt.....
If I order a stock length driveshaft from the sites they sell through I expect a stock length driveshaft! I never asked them to send me what "they" considered STOCK LENGTH. They state it's balanced and ready to bolt on. They never stipulated to measure anyway before ordering. Remember I'm just an average joe that is not too familiar with drivetrain parts. You get my drift, I never had a doubt it might not have been the wrong one, I ordered confirmed the part number on their website and tried to run with it! But it was an epic fail.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:38 PM
12 Second Club

It's apart!
Here's more carnage.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:07 AM
TECH Resident

If I order a stock length driveshaft from the sites they sell through I expect a stock length driveshaft! I never asked them to send me what "they" considered STOCK LENGTH. They state it's balanced and ready to bolt on. They never stipulated to measure anyway before ordering. Remember I'm just an average joe that is not too familiar with drivetrain parts. You get my drift, I never had a doubt it might not have been the wrong one, I ordered confirmed the part number on their website and tried to run with it! But it was an epic fail.
i'm not totally faulting you dude. i'm not trying to be a dick. maybe it's just because i've been doing this so long. maybe it's because i'm used to dealing with people that sometimes have trouble sending me the right brake rotor for a friggin camry. i don't know. but without fail, i match up parts to what came out when i'm replacing stock parts. whether or not i was told to check it, or if it was suggested to me to check it, i do. why? because i got burned once a looooong time ago. that was really my own dam fault, although i lit into them like a Tasmanian devil.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:18 AM
12 Second Club

Oh I know bud, believe me I wanted to match it up but I had already sold my stick one and just took their word for it. This is my burning moment. BUT believe me I'm getting ready to turn into TAZ!
Old 06-05-2012, 08:43 AM
TECH Resident

Oh I know bud, believe me I wanted to match it up but I had already sold my stick one and just took their word for it. This is my burning moment. BUT believe me I'm getting ready to turn into TAZ!
oohh.......now i understand. in that instance, you need to whack someone over the head with it, unless they give you excellent service fixing this problem.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:59 PM
12 Second Club

Hey bud, the Trans is getting rebuilt!!

The POS Spohn D/s has been returned to those geniuses and I should have the Trans tue or wednesday. And hoping to be in my car this weekend!

Quick Reply: I purchased a Spohn driveshaft and this is what happens!