Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

I purchased a Spohn driveshaft and this is what happens!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 02:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow is Spohn in a difficult time right now? I can't believe the customer service over there!

I got a call from Mike at the Ws6 store this morning to inform me that they were NOT going to refund me the money for the D/s. The owner (Mr Spohn) said because I grenaded the d/s and was run over by something! I asked the Tech that I wanted to hear those words from his own mouth, I told him I'd wait as long as I had to. He never did after a few minutes waiting. His "tech" was studdering for words and couldn't even give me NO straight answers. I knew they were going to pull a stunt like this and I tool pictures and video of it as i was packing it back in its original box. I asked them this morning to send me pictures of the d/s so I can see them and they still haven't sent them after reminding them!

Unreal! I can't believe a company this size would try to get over on a blue collar working American over a driveshaft that was in perfect condition! Lol all it did was take out my Trans under deacceleration, this can be asked to anyone at Straightline which are sponsors on this board now for MANY years. UNREAL!!
Old 06-20-2012, 04:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think i might be in the same situation as you right now.....luckily i read your thread before it lead to any carnage. I too bought a Spohn driveshaft from WS6 store and am running an m6 with a moser 9". I was getting pretty bad vibrations only on decel. Here are some pics of the measurements spohn recommend i checked
Driveshaft in normal position

Driveshaft yoke bottomed out in tailshaft

Marked 2 lines and measure the travel between them 1.5"
Spohn said i should have 1" or less

So that only leaves 2.25" engaged in the trans

With the driveshaft in normal loaded position i have pretty excessive up/down/side-side play in the slip yoke. If i slide the slip yoke in another .5-1" the play goes away.
WS6 store has been very good so far with customer support i just hope Spohn will step up and do the same. Ill be watching this thread to see how you make out.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:40 PM
12 Second Club

Please don't use it then!!!
You will damage that bearing back there and it's gone stress the main shaft causing it to break!

I too have has awesome communication with Mike at WS6 store he is one awesome guy that will go above and beyond.

I'm pretty much have been told by Spohn to go get bent! I'm glad I posted and word travels do others can expect this from them. Now I know I'm not the only one.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:10 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by fastassls1maro
i think i might be in the same situation as you right now.....luckily i read your thread before it lead to any carnage. I too bought a Spohn driveshaft from WS6 store and am running an m6 with a moser 9". I was getting pretty bad vibrations only on decel. Here are some pics of the measurements spohn recommend

With the driveshaft in normal loaded position i have pretty excessive up/down/side-side play in the slip yoke. If i slide the slip yoke in another .5-1" the play goes away.
WS6 store has been very good so far with customer support i just hope Spohn will step up and do the same. Ill be watching this thread to see how you make out.
any updated bud?
Old 06-27-2012, 06:14 AM
Launching!

yeah....spohn is building me a custom lenth driveshaft with the dimensions i gave them, all i have to do is send my old one back. Ill keep you updated when i get the new one.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wtf...man.

Sphon giving my boy some heat? Guess I won't be buying my suspension stuff from there.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always thought Spohn was garbage no matter the product and will continue to spread my opinion of them.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:52 PM
Launching!

well ill keep this thread updated when i receive the custom made one for anyone that cares
Old 06-27-2012, 09:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bww3588
Wtf...man.

Sphon giving my boy some heat? Guess I won't be buying my suspension stuff from there.
Yea bud!

The owner couldn't even have the desency to tell me the lies outta his mouth! They still haven't sent me pictures that show I sent them a fubar'd d/s! Ask anyone on here! I'm not that kinda guy! But karma is a bitch though!
Old 06-27-2012, 09:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's fucked up.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by djfury05
I've always thought Spohn was garbage no matter the product and will continue to spread my opinion of them.
Thanks dj, I just hope they stop doing this to other members!
Old 07-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Launching!

UPDATE!!! just received my custom made driveshaft today from spohn. This time it measured 42.25" center to center. The install went well with a much tighter fitting yoke this time. I now have 1" of yoke travel instead of the 1.5+" that i had before. So first test drive i took her up to about 60mph(where the vibration was the worst with the old shaft) and let off. This time it was smooth sailing on decel with not the slightest vibration. I then proceeded up to 80mph and let off with absolutely no vibration still.
I do believe i have solved my vibration. Spohn came through on this one for me with no questions asked. All i had to do was pay shipping to return my old shaft(22$ shipped) and the turn around time was pretty quick.
OP- i hope you got yours straightened out. Did spohn ever reimburse you for the shaft or anything?

Oh yeah one more thing.....to anyone purchasing a driveshaft MEASURE MEASURE MEASURE. It only takes but a few minutes to take a couple measurements. So make sure you measure before you order or you will be beating your head like i was.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't have to measure at all and I got the correct driveshaft. Guess the company I ordered from isn't a bunch of idiots.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Launching!

how do you "know" you have the correct driveshaft though? Just because you dont have any vibrations or other issues doesnt mean you have the correct driveshaft. Its just like Piston to valve clearance.....it is always better to measure then to just run it!

Originally Posted by djfury05
I didn't have to measure at all and I got the correct driveshaft. Guess the company I ordered from isn't a bunch of idiots.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:53 AM

Checking the site now, they dont seem to let you order it with out you giving your measurements now. I think its a fault of Spohns on the performance of these shafts. Id choose engagement over the 1" more travel when it comes to high performance. Besides, what the heck does Hi-Perf have to do with travel?! If anything it has to do with suspension and hi-perf suspension is much more controlled and has less movement.

I asked Spohn about getting some adjustable LSAs to fix their D/S problem that Im choosing to deal with. They dont seem to let their short issues carry over to their LSAs as they dont adjust short enough to fix the issue. They offered to custom build a set and I laughed. Ill just take the lock nuts off and use jb weld or something.

Any update to this for you? two years later..
Old 02-28-2014, 04:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know this is old, but I need to stand up for Spohn here. Look, they sent a part that didn't fit YOUR APPLICATION. Whether or not it was wrong on their part or because your application was different in some way doesn't matter. Nobody...and I mean NOBODY should ever install a custom part without measuring and checking everything. And for God's sake...when you find a problem like a vibration...shut the damn thing off! I can guarantee you that if you had called Spohn before you broke it and told them it was too short, they would have exchanged it for you...just like they did the other poster. If you are incapable of properly installing and measuring a custom installation, (many aren't...there isn't anything to be ashamed of) find someone who is. Or pay someone who is.

There was a doctor in the small town I'm originally from. He had a new engine put in his suburban at a local dealership. He picked it up one afternoon when it was completed and decided to go straight to the river goose hunting. On the way back, the oil pressure fell to zero. He didn't care...he kept on driving until it seized and destroyed the block, reciprocating assy, heads, just about everything. Turns out the oil drain plug fell out. Dealer refused to pay for all the new parts. They said he had a responsibility to stop when he noticed there was no pressure. Doctor sued. Doctor told the Court that it was snowing and he was 5 miles from town and he wasn't walking in the snow. The judge found for the dealership so fast you couldn't believe it. There were farm houses he could have easily walked to and called for help. When he ignored the oil pressure, he took on all responsibility for the damage.

Not everything can be idiot proof...especially via mail order.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by OldCobraGuy
I know this is old, but I need to stand up for Spohn here. Look, they sent a part that didn't fit YOUR APPLICATION. Whether or not it was wrong on their part or because your application was different in some way doesn't matter. Nobody...and I mean NOBODY should ever install a custom part without measuring and checking everything. And for God's sake...when you find a problem like a vibration...shut the damn thing off! I can guarantee you that if you had called Spohn before you broke it and told them it was too short, they would have exchanged it for you...just like they did the other poster. If you are incapable of properly installing and measuring a custom installation, (many aren't...there isn't anything to be ashamed of) find someone who is. Or pay someone who is.

There was a doctor in the small town I'm originally from. He had a new engine put in his suburban at a local dealership. He picked it up one afternoon when it was completed and decided to go straight to the river goose hunting. On the way back, the oil pressure fell to zero. He didn't care...he kept on driving until it seized and destroyed the block, reciprocating assy, heads, just about everything. Turns out the oil drain plug fell out. Dealer refused to pay for all the new parts. They said he had a responsibility to stop when he noticed there was no pressure. Doctor sued. Doctor told the Court that it was snowing and he was 5 miles from town and he wasn't walking in the snow. The judge found for the dealership so fast you couldn't believe it. There were farm houses he could have easily walked to and called for help. When he ignored the oil pressure, he took on all responsibility for the damage.

Not everything can be idiot proof...especially via mail order.
You can stand with who ever you'd like. This is what I ordered and clicked off what I needed to.
IT SAYS BALANCED, PRECISION BALANCED AND READY TO BOLT ON!!!

Those clowns have lost lots of customers, I'm just the tip of the iceberg.
This is how you were able to order before! It wasn't so "custom".

Old 02-28-2014, 07:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A driveshaft yoke should never stick out of the trans case more than 1", and 3/4" is even better. Bottom line is, it's your responsibilty to check the final fit. Custom parts are just that, no guarantees that it will fit exactly.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
A driveshaft yoke should never stick out of the trans case more than 1", and 3/4" is even better. Bottom line is, it's your responsibilty to check the final fit. Custom parts are just that, no guarantees that it will fit exactly.
I'll go further than that. It is the installer's responsibility in this case to ensure the slip yoke engages the bushing properly, and at the proper ride height, has 3/4 to 1 inch free play before it bottoms out on the output shaft. It is your responsibility to inspect for bushing replacement and seal replacement. But my God...to run it with a known issue (vibration) is just nuts. If your car is exactly as advertised...that the Spohn driveline was advertised to fit...then Spohn made an error and I have no doubt at all they would have replaced it with a correct version...just as they did for our other poster. Their liability for damage ended the moment you drove the car with a known issue. Or an issue you SHOULD have known. Sorry...I feel your pain...but to expect Spohn to stand behind this is ludicrous. They may not be the most friendly people in the world, but they know what they're doing and regardless of uninformed posts here, they do a helluva business.

And no...I don't work for them. I do however believe they offer a great product for the price.

You ever dealt with Racetronix? Talk about customer service issues. But I use them every single chance I get because they offer one helluva product. They will warranty it if it's their fault...but it rarely is. It's not any manufacturers responsibility to cover installation errors or lack of knowledge.

Quick Reply: I purchased a Spohn driveshaft and this is what happens!