Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Break in motive 3.73 gears?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 06:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
normal driving itll last awhile. at least mine did. but it was a time bomb lol.
Well we all know this car isnt driving miss daisy so f that junk lol

Originally Posted by Sam Hadji
When I put 373's in my 98, they screamed until I got around 1k miles on them and the noise pretty much went away. Probably wasn't the smart thing to do to keep driving it, never had any problems though.
So what happened they ended up fine?
Old 07-25-2012, 05:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is from Motive's website...24. Troubleshooting the correct problem will help the customer, installer and manufacturer. Remember, THERE
ARE ACCEPTABLE NOISE LEVELS which vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Noise that may be
normal as per manufacturer, may be strange to a consumer unaware of acceptable noise. Explain
acceptable noise levels to your customer. If noise remains an issue, double check your tolerances for accuracy,
then call us for help.
25. Break in of gears is paramount to gear life. Initial run in should be at low speeds. This will enable gears to
run in without overheating
Old 07-25-2012, 05:08 AM
Teching In

This too..Change the rearend fluid at 1000 miles. This is because during break-in, the gears and bearings will have
some material chip off or wear off, contaminating the fluid. Many chemicals used in heat treating or case
hardening are from the potassium nitrate family. This mixed with gear oil produces a number of corrosive
acids. These acids also break down the oil film, rendering the lubricant useless. Steel to steel contact then
happens leading to ultimate failure.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
So what happened they ended up fine?
Yeah, never had a problem with them. Rebuilt the rear end and threw those in along with some other mods at 179k miles, haha. Didn't really break them in right or anything. Had to drive 60 miles round-trip to work 6 days a week, all mostly all highway, or at least 55 mph+.

My new TA has 273's in them so I'll have to upgrade the carrier when I put 373's or 410's in so I'll definitely keep more of an eye on it.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:43 AM
TECH Regular

When I had my 10 bolt with 4.10s it was loud on decel, but was told its ok as long as its not all the time on or off the gas. About 5k mi of me driving the hell out of it it got noticably louder. We took it apart and found the pinion nut loose and the carrier bolts, how it didnt blow up I dont know. We reassembled it and the noise was barely there to our supprise. Two weeks later I went to the strip and 10-12 passes later it was a lot louder lol. I beat the snot out of the ten bolt and never blew up shockingly. When I pulled it apart to get the backing plates off for my 9 inch the shims started to back out spacing the carrier. Its one of the ten bolts your hear about surviving. Now my damn 9 inch whines more than the ten but found out last night Im way light on the preload and too much backlash. Im gona scrap the richmonds and get something quieter and start fresh this time. My guess is youll be fine, oh and the 10 bolt had motives.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

My Motives are pretty damn loud. He set them up at .005? instead of .008? I think is what it was idk I remember 5 and 8. Anyway, I broke mine in perfect. It was 15 mins to work and part of it was stop and go traffic and part was a backroad at 45-55. So I drove to work, parked for four hours, went to lunch and went on a twenty min drive varying speed, then parked for four hours then went home. Easy money haha. They still whine like hell even after changing gear oil twice but there aren't any chipped teeth or pieces on the magnet so I guess they're ok. I did have it completely rebuilt when I put the gears in.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by onyx00Z
This is from Motive's website...24. Troubleshooting the correct problem will help the customer, installer and manufacturer. Remember, THERE
ARE ACCEPTABLE NOISE LEVELS which vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Noise that may be
normal as per manufacturer, may be strange to a consumer unaware of acceptable noise. Explain
acceptable noise levels to your customer. If noise remains an issue, double check your tolerances for accuracy,
then call us for help.
25. Break in of gears is paramount to gear life. Initial run in should be at low speeds. This will enable gears to
run in without overheating
Yea see, some gear will make noise. Mine are around 55mph and not loud at all.

Originally Posted by onyx00Z
This too..Change the rearend fluid at 1000 miles. This is because during break-in, the gears and bearings will have
some material chip off or wear off, contaminating the fluid. Many chemicals used in heat treating or case
hardening are from the potassium nitrate family. This mixed with gear oil produces a number of corrosive
acids. These acids also break down the oil film, rendering the lubricant useless. Steel to steel contact then
happens leading to ultimate failure.
Is that from motive website? I planned on changing it at 500 miles but maybe ill do 1k instead.

Originally Posted by Sam Hadji
Yeah, never had a problem with them. Rebuilt the rear end and threw those in along with some other mods at 179k miles, haha. Didn't really break them in right or anything. Had to drive 60 miles round-trip to work 6 days a week, all mostly all highway, or at least 55 mph+.

My new TA has 273's in them so I'll have to upgrade the carrier when I put 373's or 410's in so I'll definitely keep more of an eye on it.
Good to hear man. 179k

Originally Posted by dkota1968
When I had my 10 bolt with 4.10s it was loud on decel, but was told its ok as long as its not all the time on or off the gas. About 5k mi of me driving the hell out of it it got noticably louder. We took it apart and found the pinion nut loose and the carrier bolts, how it didnt blow up I dont know. We reassembled it and the noise was barely there to our supprise. Two weeks later I went to the strip and 10-12 passes later it was a lot louder lol. I beat the snot out of the ten bolt and never blew up shockingly. When I pulled it apart to get the backing plates off for my 9 inch the shims started to back out spacing the carrier. Its one of the ten bolts your hear about surviving. Now my damn 9 inch whines more than the ten but found out last night Im way light on the preload and too much backlash. Im gona scrap the richmonds and get something quieter and start fresh this time. My guess is youll be fine, oh and the 10 bolt had motives.

I think its fine to thanks for posting. BTW slowhawk just did my car h c i 3.73

Originally Posted by 85CamaroZ28
My Motives are pretty damn loud. He set them up at .005? instead of .008? I think is what it was idk I remember 5 and 8. Anyway, I broke mine in perfect. It was 15 mins to work and part of it was stop and go traffic and part was a backroad at 45-55. So I drove to work, parked for four hours, went to lunch and went on a twenty min drive varying speed, then parked for four hours then went home. Easy money haha. They still whine like hell even after changing gear oil twice but there aren't any chipped teeth or pieces on the magnet so I guess they're ok. I did have it completely rebuilt when I put the gears in.
And your gears turned out fine

Quick Reply: Break in motive 3.73 gears?