Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Driveline Vibration, Whine from Rear, Clunking noise in front? .... WTH

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Driveline Vibration, Whine from Rear, Clunking noise in front? .... WTH

Ok, so I will try to lay this out so that it is understandable. I have done some searching on the forums and do not want to jump to the conclusion just yet...want the expert advise so hopefully you all can help before I have to dump a crap ton of money into this car 60 days before my wedding...

The car - 99 Z28 LS1 T56 with 80k miles, Flowmaster Catback...otherwise stock.

The issues -
- Revving the motor while parked in neutral, vibration felt in floor board and shifter between 1200-2300~ RPMS
- Driving the car, normal take offs and shifts around 2500 rpm, i notice a stiff vibration in the center of the car towards the rear from around 1200-2300 rpms
- Notice a slight whining noise coming from the rear while having the gas peddle pressed, goes away when the gas peddle is not pressed.
- Pinion seal is leaking slightly
- Passenger side wheel hub leaking slightly

something that is probably completely different than above
- clunking noise coming from passenger side when hitting bumps in the road, at times it sounds like it is coming from the center front of the car, mainly at lower speeds, do not notice it as much at highway speed.

Any help at this point will be appreciated... I hope that you all tell me something simple :-/
Old 09-05-2012, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's your pinion angle set at and what rear suspension are you running?
Old 09-05-2012, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the clunking noise may be a bad shock. look at your shocks and see if any hydraulic oil leaked out of them, you will notice it on the bottom of the shock and around the frame. When my right front bilstein went out, I could stand on the passenger door sill and jump the car up and down and bottom out the right front duplicating the noise.

the other stuff for the rear end sounds normal for the 10-bolt.
the vibration may be a bad clutch or clutch assembly starting to go out of balance, does the vibration happen both with the clutch depressed and not ?
Old 09-10-2012, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to thread jack but what would be the symptoms of a clutch assembly going out of balance and is it fixable without a new assembly, I am having a similar issue

Quick Reply: Driveline Vibration, Whine from Rear, Clunking noise in front? .... WTH