Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Help! Old rear out of car

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 08:04 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Old rear out of car

New 9" on its way in.

In what order do i need to get all my stuff machined on ie bearings, backing plates etc...

TIA.
S
Old 04-09-2004, 08:53 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are using the TCS/ABS wheels press those on first. Then the backing plate/caliper mount slide on, then the bearing (make sure the o-ring faces the outside), get pressed on, then the bearing retainer. The two small seals are installed in the rear end housing, I had a piece of pvc pipe thet fit the bore exactly and used that and a BFH/2x4 to put them in. they have to go in far enough so the bearing retainer doesnt hit them.

Make sure you get the correct side caliper mounts on the correct axle, one side is longer then the other so the axles do not interchange like a 12 bolt. There was a recent post on which axle was which - the RH side is the shorter axle if I remember but double check since the bearing will be destroyed if you have to take it off..
Old 04-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Launching!

THX, Im hoping to get all this done on saturday....Not using abs so thats one less problem.What all did you have to take to a shop to have put on? or were you able to do it all with BFH.
S
Old 04-09-2004, 05:22 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The hammer is for the small axle seals that go in the rear end housing. Everything else goes to the shop to get pressed. Sometimes they put two 1/8" metal spacers on the axles for LT1 cars - make sure you remove them if you are using stock LS1 brakes..
Old 04-09-2004, 07:31 PM
11 Second Club

yes... use a pipe.. I found a piece of 2" by 4" pipe at Home Depot for like 4$. Do not try to just tap it in without a pipe. I think I hose one of my seals.