Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

pinion angle vibration at 70+ on load only.....please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pinion angle vibration at 70+ on load only.....please help

Ii recently put GM 4.11 gears into my 2000 camaro SS. I love the gears and everything else is perfect but a slight whine decel at 60mph. So heres my problem, I noticed that at around 70 mph i have a high frequency vibration only when i am on load ( on the gas pedal). the vibration goes away at about 90 mph and doesnt kick in below 60 mph but it is driving me crazy. at 70 mph i can play with the gas pedal and gets really bad at 75-80, if i take my foot off the gas it goes away. i changed my u joints, balanced my driveshaft and tires. i believe now that it is the pinion angle, it has too be. right?
Old 10-18-2012, 09:28 PM
Teching In

oh and the car has only 24k original miles
Old 10-18-2012, 09:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be the trans. Does it happen with the clutch in? How about neutral? Probably what you meant by "*on load only", but worth asking. Doesn't really sound like pinion angle, but I'm no expert.

Pinion angle isn't hard to measure. Framing square and digital torpedo level make it easy.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:01 PM
Teching In

when the clutch is in or in nuetral, the car drives smooth as silk. if im below 70 mph, the car drives smooth, only when i am 70 mph+ on load, does the car vibrate. i want to measure driveshaft angle but really dont know how. the problem only occured after i put in the new gears. i

Quick Reply: pinion angle vibration at 70+ on load only.....please help