Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Narrowed or not narrowed 9"

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 09:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Narrowed or not narrowed 9"

im planning on getting a moser 9" and wondering what is the benefit of getting the rear shortened, and how much shortened on each side is recommended, the car is a DD but would like to put a deep dish wheel and tire wider than a 305 on the back without rubbing issues. i guess i would need to know the correct offset to get on wheels also for the amount shortend on the real also
Old 10-23-2012, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

i love the deep dish look...i wish i had my mwc 9 narrowed....

from what ive seen 2-3 inches per side is the norm...lot of options in wheels and offsets...should be able to fit a 305 in the stock wheel well...
Old 10-24-2012, 07:46 AM
Staging Lane

I'm interested in this as well. What are the actual benefits, if any, to a narrowed rear axle? Is it just for wheel aesthetics? Or does that mean that you can actually fit a wider tire under there after narrowing the rear without a mini tub...? Does it change the ride and handling at all? What are the benefits and drawbacks to a narrowed rear end?

Someone with a narrow rear, please post up. I searched and searched and found nothing. Not even in the FAQ sticky. plz help.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:40 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Give me a call... I can get you all the correct info you need on measurements for the rearend and the wheel combos. There is bit more to the situation than just cutting down the rearend, so be informed!

MWC manufactures the most popular bolt-in fabricated 9" rearend package for the f-body cars and have the track and street experience to back it all up. MWC is also a direct dealer for Strange, Moser, and Yukon and have the guaranteed best deal on any rearend and suspension component for your car.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wornoutshoes
I'm interested in this as well. What are the actual benefits, if any, to a narrowed rear axle? Is it just for wheel aesthetics? Or does that mean that you can actually fit a wider tire under there after narrowing the rear without a mini tub...? Does it change the ride and handling at all? What are the benefits and drawbacks to a narrowed rear end?

Someone with a narrow rear, please post up. I searched and searched and found nothing. Not even in the FAQ sticky. plz help.
Order a S60 narrowed 3" per side from MWC (great guys to deal with), 17x11 B.S. Streetlites
4.75 backspace, running a 315/35r17 MT street, no rubs, or cutting at all.
Dropped about an inch all around. Benefits......bad *** lips..... Drawbacks ....no spare tire will work lol!!
Can't feel any handling difference, feels the same, just a hell of a lot stronger than the 10 bolt.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:15 PM
12 Second Club

yea i would definitley want it narrowed to something that will give me alot of wheel/tire size options. So i guess its either 2 or 3 inches thats to be determined, any more opinions on size will be appreciated since this will cost alot, i would hate to buy and regret what i got. sounds like 3 inches would need no cutting or any other mods to fit.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:31 PM
11 Second Club

Some people say the shorter the axles the stronger they become, the same people also say the less axle tube flex you would get as well.

I narrowed my S60 a total of 4.5'' the only draw back I have experienced is custom wheels you will have to wait for them to be made and usually there not cheap.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:02 PM
12 Second Club

makes sense shorter axles would be harder to break, wouldnt want the rear so narrow that i would have to get custom made wheels.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I got a MWC 9 that is narrowed 2.25 on each side, the benifit of this is a stronger rear end but als you are taking off some weight as well, atleast a few mounds. I run a 11 inch TT2 at 5.5 inches of backspacing to put it right where I want it. I also run 315s but had to clearence a little and also had to take out the bump stops for my drag setup. I daily drive my car and even autocross it, there really isnt much difference to the driving with a narrowed rear so long as the tear tires end up in the same width as they were.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by FormulaTA327
makes sense shorter axles would be harder to break, wouldnt want the rear so narrow that i would have to get custom made wheels.
I don't think there are any "shelf / ready to ship wheel for our cars in a backspacing & offset other then factory specs but I could be wrong. When I ordered my basic TT2's in a 5'' backspacing back in 09' it took 4 weeks to receive them.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:49 AM
12 Second Club

alright just so im clear with the backspacing issue, say if i got the rear cut a inch on the sides i can run a 15x 10 with a 6.5 backspace and run a wider tire without rubbing than what i could with a 15x 10 with a 7.5 backspace. I read the sticky just trying to make sure i have this right
Old 10-25-2012, 07:28 PM
Staging Lane

yea i would definitley want it narrowed to something that will give me alot of wheel/tire size options. So i guess its either 2 or 3 inches thats to be determined, any more opinions on size will be appreciated since this will cost alot, i would hate to buy and regret what i got. sounds like 3 inches would need no cutting or any other mods to fit.
I had to custom fab my e brake brackets. My rear end and my wheels didn't cost extra, just paid the normal price. Just make sure you know what backspace you need.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

alright just so im clear with the backspacing issue, say if i got the rear cut a inch on the sides i can run a 15x 10 with a 6.5 backspace and run a wider tire without rubbing than what i could with a 15x 10 with a 7.5 backspace. I read the sticky just trying to make sure i have this right
I think a 315 is the widest tire you can stuff under a fbody with out it sticking out or rubbing the inner fender, some else might be able to clarify.

I guess you really want wider than you will have to mini tub it, Ive seen 335 with that setup
Old 10-25-2012, 09:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Find wheels you REALLY want on the street, and on the drag strip, then decide if the cost of those wheels is worth a shortened 9". I thought about this, but wheels I like are out of my price range, so I kept the stock width.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:08 PM
11 Second Club

Not necessarily. When you narrow the rear end by 1'' and then change your backspacing to compensate you are essentially putting the wheel back where it would be if the rear end is not narrowed all you would have done is added a deeper dish to the wheel.

If you are trying to run a fatter tire but not have any clearance issue you can keep your stock width rear just change the backspacing of the wheel to push it out of the fender more. So say stock backspacing is 7.5 you want to run a 335 and need a extra 1/2'' clearance set your backspacing to 7.25 and it will push the wheel out towards the outside of the car making you have more inner clearance.

I did something similar with my narrowed rearend, I didn't like how my first set of narrowed TT2's sat in the wheel well (5.5'' backspacing) so I kept the length of the S60 the same (2.25 taken off each side) and ordered another set of TT2's with a 5'' backspacing so the wheel was pushed out more where and how I wanted it and gave me more room on the inside. Just be careful and not do it too much or it will look ridiculous.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:03 PM
12 Second Club

leaning more towards 2 inch on each side, would you think a 5.5 backspace would look good or 5. dont see a option for 2.25 inch narrow on the rear im looking at. i believe 5.5 would set me up at the stock location but deeper lookin wheel. im thinking 5 bs would make the wheel stick out to far towards the outside. what size wheels are you all running with the 2.25 cut from the side.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:41 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SmokedOutZ28
Not necessarily. When you narrow the rear end by 1'' and then change your backspacing to compensate you are essentially putting the wheel back where it would be if the rear end is not narrowed all you would have done is added a deeper dish to the wheel.

If you are trying to run a fatter tire but not have any clearance issue you can keep your stock width rear just change the backspacing of the wheel to push it out of the fender more. So say stock backspacing is 7.5 you want to run a 335 and need a extra 1/2'' clearance set your backspacing to 7.25 and it will push the wheel out towards the outside of the car making you have more inner clearance.

I did something similar with my narrowed rearend, I didn't like how my first set of narrowed TT2's sat in the wheel well (5.5'' backspacing) so I kept the length of the S60 the same (2.25 taken off each side) and ordered another set of TT2's with a 5'' backspacing so the wheel was pushed out more where and how I wanted it and gave me more room on the inside. Just be careful and not do it too much or it will look ridiculous.
did your wheels sit in to deep in the fender with the 5.5 backspace
Old 10-28-2012, 02:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I went 2" per side and should have gone 3"s.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
I went 2" per side and should have gone 3"s.
any particular reason why you didnt like 2" and why 3"
Old 10-28-2012, 05:01 PM
11 Second Club

did your wheels sit in to deep in the fender with the 5.5 backspace
Edit : This is what the 5.5'' backspacing looked like on my rear end cut 2.25'' each side. I didn't like it looked so thats why I went and added another 1/2''

This is how the wheels sit now at 5'' backspacing

Last edited by SmokedOutZ28; 10-29-2012 at 07:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Narrowed or not narrowed 9"