Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Pinion seal and crush sleeve help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 09:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pinion seal and crush sleeve help!!

Story goes. pinion angle was off. Don't ask. hit big bump in the highway and driveshaft sheared two bolts and popped off.

Took pinion yoke off, not checking threads nothing. straight rambo'd that ****. I had a friend help. He said it would be fine. take bolt off put bolt on, good to go. Okay friend who is a mechanic for a living. Let's do it. ( Guy is awesome. can't blame him, I could have done the research before hand and not rambo'd **** together.)torque it back together with an impact. -..- ****, is the response after reading about pinion preload, and crush sleeves and the methods of removing your pinion yokes or to replace your pinion seal. Now, anyone have and how to from here, what to do. In english and detailed. Like on Ls1howto or somethings. third rear that has been in this car. First was whining real bad and leaked, might have been caused by this very thing from previous owner how it sounds. rear 2 carrier bearings went bad and the shop said 1000 to replace and rebuild I said **** you respectively and got a good rear axle for 150 from a guy on the forums.

Now, excuse my language as I just want to convey my frustration on this matter. I have not down anything internal on a rear axle a part from wheel bearings and wheal bearing seals. pinion, preloads, and techy stuff drive me crazy.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

listen about the crush sleeve at around 3:20
Old 11-22-2012, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

There is a ton of write ups on this subject.

Quick Reply: Pinion seal and crush sleeve help!!