Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Which Rear End should I get

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Rear End should I get

I just got my work year bonus for work and its burning a hole in my pocket. I've had my eye on a rear end for a while and figured it would be a great Xmas gift to myself. I was just looking for some opinions on what I should get.

My setup:
1999 Pontiac Firebird with an M6 My car has basic bolt-ons and puts down about 350 to the wheels. I also run a 150 of nos which puts me just below 500. My next step is to put a cam and heads on, I never plan plan on making more than 450 to the wheels and 600 on the bottle. I drive the car about 4000 miles a year. I would also say I take the car to the 1/4 track 3 times a year. I also take the car to a road course on average of once a year. When I put the rear end on the car I'm also putting on a lot of suspension upgrades. I was debating between a Moser 9 of a Strange 12 with some type of try track center with 3.89 gears. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:59 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would not suggest a 12 bolt for your application. A few hard launches will normally make the 12 bolt pick up noise, and honestly there are stronger rearends for less cost.

A S60 is a few hundred less and night and day difference in strength... maybe the best bang for the buck rearend.

With the number of different things you do with the car I would suggest a 9 inch rearend. It would serve the purpose for your needs and can be built for an affordable cost, and will weigh substantially less than the S60. A fabricated 9" rear will be the least weight of all of them, more than strong enough, and can be made lighter than the oem 10 bolt if need be.

Give us a call and we can discuss all the options on all the rearends. MWC is a direct dealer for Strange and Moser, and we manufacture the ever-popular MWC fabricated 9" rearend package.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:22 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by blueghost6789
I just got my work year bonus for work and its burning a hole in my pocket. I've had my eye on a rear end for a while and figured it would be a great Xmas gift to myself. I was just looking for some opinions on what I should get.

My setup:
1999 Pontiac Firebird with an M6 My car has basic bolt-ons and puts down about 350 to the wheels. I also run a 150 of nos which puts me just below 500. My next step is to put a cam and heads on, I never plan plan on making more than 450 to the wheels and 600 on the bottle. I drive the car about 4000 miles a year. I would also say I take the car to the 1/4 track 3 times a year. I also take the car to a road course on average of once a year. When I put the rear end on the car I'm also putting on a lot of suspension upgrades. I was debating between a Moser 9 of a Strange 12 with some type of try track center with 3.89 gears. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-9-I...h-Wavetrac.htm

For nitrous I would go with the Wavetrac differential. For the month of December i have them on sale for 10% off the prices on my website. Shipping is included in the price too. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 12-05-2012, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would hardly recommend a 9" differential for those hard launches that will be your best choice in my opinion of course. You can never go wrong with a 9".

Quick Reply: Which Rear End should I get