Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

2002 SS Differential Noise...Pinion Seal Replaced...Now More Noise.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 SS Differential Noise...Pinion Seal Replaced...Now More Noise.

My 2002 SS has a pinion seal problem similar to that covered in this post:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...pping-off.html

Mine developed a low speed noise that starts at zero and fades away by 20-25 mph. I took it to the dealer where I had bought it, and the differential was low on oil because the pinion seal was leaking. It had not leaded on my garage floor so it is anybodys guess as to how long it had been leaking.

I had them replace the seal, then drove it home but the aformentioned noise was still there. Later in the day I took it up the ramp onto the freeway it began to growl very noticeably when I reached 65-70 mph. The growl now is at all speeds and does not change while accelerating, coasting, or decelerating. I suspect that it may have something to do with the pinion nut/crush sleeve. Does this sound like it may have been overtightened during the seal replacement? Or possibly been left too loose? The driveshaft/yoke feels tight.

Thanks,
Dennis
Old 01-01-2013, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sound's like the pinion bearing may have had too much preload on reinstall and is now failing. You would basically need to tear it out to be sure. it was probably bad or damn near it anyway.

Quick Reply: 2002 SS Differential Noise...Pinion Seal Replaced...Now More Noise.