Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

12 Bolt and disc brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12 Bolt and disc brakes

Hey everyone

Just in the process of deciding which dif to go with on an up comming build. Was wanting to run disc brakes, but have read that if c-clip elimnators are used then disc brakes cannot be used. Just wondering if this is true, or if there is a way around this. And are c-clip eliminators are must, in regards to track safety?

Thanks
Mike
Old 03-24-2013, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I havw a 10 bolt being built with Moser axles that have Ford bearing ends on them. The eliminates the c-clips without the potential to leak associated with "regular" eliminators. The axle housing ends had to be chopped and special ends from Moser welded on. With the right gears and diff, you can approach 12-bolt strength with a 10 bolt. For brakes, you can weld brackets on like I plan to, or perhaps call moser tech support to go over options. They are VERY helpful. My axles (30 spline) were just over six hundred, with the axle housing ends and Ford bearings pressed on.

I have LS1 f-body rear discs.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1981TA
I havw a 10 bolt being built with Moser axles that have Ford bearing ends on them. The eliminates the c-clips without the potential to leak associated with "regular" eliminators. The axle housing ends had to be chopped and special ends from Moser welded on. With the right gears and diff, you can approach 12-bolt strength with a 10 bolt. For brakes, you can weld brackets on like I plan to, or perhaps call moser tech support to go over options. They are VERY helpful. My axles (30 spline) were just over six hundred, with the axle housing ends and Ford bearings pressed on.

I have LS1 f-body rear discs.

Hey 81

Thanks for the reply...Sounds very interesting. I knew that, that was a benefit of the ford 9 but did not know they made the ends for GM Diffs. I have a 78 Trans Am, and its good to hear from another 2nd gen guy. I have read that the older 10 bolts were alot stronger than the later models, I just figured it was one the big 3 rear diffs or bust if any kind of good HP #'s were wanted. Did you just order the parts from moser or have them build it

Thanks
Mike
Old 03-27-2013, 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I called them up and picked their tech guy's brain for suggestions, based on what I had (8.5" 10-bolt, 3.73 GM gears, new 30 spline 8.5/8.6" diff, etc), my intended use (road race), and issues I was currently experiencing (brake pad knockback). He made great suggestions. I ended up with a 10 bolt build that will more than handle my expected needs.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1981TA
I called them up and picked their tech guy's brain for suggestions, based on what I had (8.5" 10-bolt, 3.73 GM gears, new 30 spline 8.5/8.6" diff, etc), my intended use (road race), and issues I was currently experiencing (brake pad knockback). He made great suggestions. I ended up with a 10 bolt build that will more than handle my expected needs.
Awesome...Thanks for the great advice 81TA, just the info i was looking for. May have to pick your brain one day about your ls swap into yout 81, something i plan on doing in the near future to my 78

Thanks
Mike

Quick Reply: 12 Bolt and disc brakes