Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear end popping sound? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 10:33 AM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rear end popping sound? Help!

When going at low speeds (up to about 10-15 mph) I can hear a popping sound coming from the rear end of my 02 SS (stock rear end). It's related to the speed I'm going...the faster I go, the faster the pop pop pop popping sound is, up until about 15 mph or so, anyways. I can't tell exactly where it's coming from, however, I can tell you it has nothing to do with turning/going straight. It just seems to happen when I'm puttering around, less than 15 mph. If the sound exists at higher speeds, I can't hear it for the rest of the noise.

So my question is this - this weekend I plan on jacking my car up and crawling underneath to see what I can find. Do you guys have any suggestions on where to start? I don't think it's the u-joint, as it doesn't clunk when going from drive to reverse (but I'll check it regardless). Suggestions?!?
Old 03-25-2013, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

won't hurt to pull your diff cover off just to make sure.....
Old 03-25-2013, 11:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like your torsen unit is starting to go.

Mine does it in reverse after driving it a bit, and in forward if I've been getting on it real hard.

Quick Reply: Rear end popping sound? Help!