Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Just installed 10 Bolt with 4.10's LOUD Whining noise!!! Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 02:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed 10 Bolt with 4.10's LOUD Whining noise!!! Help

I just swapped my stock 10 bolt (3.42's) with another stock 10 bolt which already had 4.10's put in it. After taking it around the block there is a extremely loud rubbing noise at low speeds, I looked at the driveshaft and there were no marks on it. I thought the driveshaft may have been bent from a prior accident so I took the drive shaft to get looked at and he said it was 40 thousandths off in the back and 20 thousandths off in the front. He said I wouln't notice a vibration until around 70 and recommended I put in posi-traction addative to the differential. I did, and I also changed the tranny fluid, (no metal shavings) so I doubt it is coming from the tranny. As I get up to higher speeds/gears the rubbing turns into a all out fire engine siren, it is so loud, I do not know what to do. Did I buy a bad rear end or is this normal with 4.10's? I have Hotchkins lower control arms and panhard rod, does this matter??? Please Help....
Old 04-21-2004, 02:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you are describing is definitely not normal. Are your tires rubbing? What do you know about the new rear? Was it removed from a car you are familiar with? Did you inspect the gears? The contact areas of good used gears are very smooth and polished. The problem might be bad wheel bearings.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 10 bolt with 4.10s made similar sounds after I abused it several times at the track on Nittos... that rear end sounds like it's gone through the same kind of hard life and is going to take a dump on you in the near future. I'd say pull it apart, inspect the gears, bearings, and the torsen.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When i first put my gears in the whine was unnoticable. now, almost a year later and 5k mile, its gettting loud. id make sure the bolt on the pinion hasnt backed off. take the bolt off, put a **** load of loktite on it and see how it is. if its cool, good, if not, pull the cover and id see how things are in there. but wheel bearings would have to be real bad for that to be the problem. get some gear marking crap and spin the gear, see how theyre meshing. if thats good, then its gotta be a problem with the pinion depth...