Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Advantages of a spool?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 06:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Advantages of a spool?

Right now I've got a MWC 9" with their billet clutch posi and 4.10 gears. I recently stepped up to a 27" tire so I need a little more gear. I noticed that spools weren't that expensive and Its not like I drive the car everyday or in bad weather. By going to a spool over my current carrier what would be the upside just less weight? I know the downsides. Its a M6 heads/cam stock bottom end mostly drag car that sees occasional street time mainly to and from the track. Thanks
Old 04-03-2013, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
Right now I've got a MWC 9" with their billet clutch posi and 4.10 gears. I recently stepped up to a 27" tire so I need a little more gear. I noticed that spools weren't that expensive and Its not like I drive the car everyday or in bad weather. By going to a spool over my current carrier what would be the upside just less weight? I know the downsides. Its a M6 heads/cam stock bottom end mostly drag car that sees occasional street time mainly to and from the track. Thanks
I like spools. Light weight, less money, no moving parts to break and 100% TQ to both wheels! Plus a nice little chirp, chirp, chirp when turning corners at low speeds (like parking lots).
Old 04-05-2013, 06:21 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by slow ride 02
I like spools. Light weight, less money, no moving parts to break and 100% TQ to both wheels! Plus a nice little chirp, chirp, chirp when turning corners at low speeds (like parking lots).
I agree, for a weekend only car or for mostly highway and rural driving, I feel a spool is a great way to go. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 04-06-2013, 10:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My billet clutch posi gave out in less than 2 seasons. It probably would've been ok just street driving. That's what made me go with a spool, cheap & it won't wear out. Street driving a spool is manageable, sucks sometimes cuz gotta make wider turns.

Quick Reply: Advantages of a spool?