Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear end problems on strange 9"

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear end problems on strange 9"

Got the trac loc replaced and it's still not rolling at all.. the driveshaft spins but car will NOT move. I've done everything as far as initial break in goes. Let it idle/ cruise on jackstands for 15 mins, it cooled off for way over an hour, also tried letting it roll on jackstands while in 1st gear and reverse for 3 mins each. I'm guessing the driver side axle shaft is a little bit too short. gonna try to take it to Pyle Bros in Baytown tomorrow and see what they tell me. I'm tired of messing with the damn thing... It's driven me up to the wall.

Any ideas? It's a strange 9" center with trac loc,31 spine strange axles and motive 3.70 gears from MCW

and yes the video is upside down, i didn't have much time as my phone was about to lose charge
Old 04-08-2013, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you swap the axles yet?
Old 04-08-2013, 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kevin97ss
Did you swap the axles yet?
you mean swap the driver side axle to the passenger side? if so, I have not.. One axle is shorter than the other for some reason. Maybe because of how the rear is positioned on the case, I'm not sure... besides the backing plates need to be on a certain way so yeah..

This car clearly doesn't want any aftermarket parts on it. It's mad at me
Old 04-09-2013, 12:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by greenvortec97
you mean swap the driver side axle to the passenger side? YES if so, I have not.. One axle is shorter than the other for some reason. BINGO :
Most likely one axle is engaged into the splines and the other is not. Is this a new build? Why was the differential replaced...for this problem?
Old 04-09-2013, 07:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It was replaced because of this problem yes. And yes it is a new build
Old 04-09-2013, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would swap axles and then turn the driveshaft by hand to verify both wheels turn. If its good then have the backing plates swapped so they are on the correct sides.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats weird. Have you contacted Eric at MWC about this?
Old 04-09-2013, 07:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the diff is new and you trust the builder, the axles are either too short (not likely if it worked before replacement) or the splines in the trac-lok are wrong for the axles. Maybe they sent you a 35 spline unit instead of a 31 or something along that line...
Old 04-09-2013, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The axle shafts would not slide into the carrier if they were 35 spline, everything engages fine. The problem that Eric @ MWC concluded was that the driver side axle was almost an inch too short, purely Strange's fault but Eric is taking care of me. I bolted the stock rear end back in and i plan on attending Bayou Drag at lonestar motorsports park in Sealy Tx.

Hopefully the stock rear can handle a 150 shot just enough to make a clean pass.

on a side note, Does anyone have a part number for aftermarket brake lines? i want some to come off the bracket that bolts on to the axle housing
Old 04-10-2013, 07:16 PM
TECH Junkie

The axle shafts would not slide into the carrier if they were 35 spline, everything engages fine. The problem that Eric @ MWC concluded was that the driver side axle was almost an inch too short, purely Strange's fault but Eric is taking care of me. I bolted the stock rear end back in and i plan on attending Bayou Drag at lonestar motorsports park in Sealy Tx.

Hopefully the stock rear can handle a 150 shot just enough to make a clean pass.

on a side note, Does anyone have a part number for aftermarket brake lines? i want some to come off the bracket that bolts on to the axle housing
Your original post mentioned (only) that the traction lok had been replaced. If that was the case, and the axles had not been changed, then how on earth would they all of a sudden be too short? My point was, if you somehow managed to get a 35 spline trac-lok unit instead of a 31 spline unit, the axles would indeed slide in, but would never make contact with anything.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Your original post mentioned (only) that the traction lok had been replaced. If that was the case, and the axles had not been changed, then how on earth would they all of a sudden be too short? My point was, if you somehow managed to get a 35 spline trac-lok unit instead of a 31 spline unit, the axles would indeed slide in, but would never make contact with anything.

The driver side axle shaft was too short all along, (we thought it was the trac loc unit at first) it's hard to explain but on the driver of the trac loc there are two gears that the axle shaft engages, But the axle shaft was only engaging one, SO if you were to put a load (Like putting it in gear) on the car, it would barely roll or not move at all. There wouldn't have been a way to diagnose the problem without the axle being installed. If you would turn the pinion gear by hand with the rear end out of the car both wheel hubs would turn because it wasn't that big of a load.

but yes before we put the center section in we made sure the axle shafts would match the splines in the carrier. But like I said, the driver side wasn't engaging all the way.

Last edited by greenvortec97; 04-10-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:09 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI... there is no 35 spline "posi" unit like this available on the market. Only 35 spline(common) diffs are the S-trac, Wavetrac, Detroit Locker, and now the new 35 spline Truetrac by Eaton has been released. All these diff units are mechanical, not clutch type where an issue like this would not be possible.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ssvert99
FYI... there is no 35 spline "posi" unit like this available on the market. Only 35 spline(common) diffs are the S-trac, Wavetrac, Detroit Locker, and now the new 35 spline Truetrac by Eaton has been released. All these diff units are mechanical, not clutch type where an issue like this would not be possible.
Hmm, yes, we all know that. However, people are notorious for calling them everything from a posi to a locker and expecting us to sort out the correct unit. Just trying to understand the OP's situation, have never heard of (or even imagined) an axle shaft being too short...
Old 04-12-2013, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The axle shafts would not slide into the carrier if they were 35 spline, everything engages fine. The problem that Eric @ MWC concluded was that the driver side axle was almost an inch too short, purely Strange's fault but Eric is taking care of me.

when did you get your rear?
maybe that was your 33 spline i got in my S60 with s-trac
Old 04-12-2013, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
when did you get your rear?
maybe that was your 33 spline i got in my S60 with s-trac
both axles are 31 spline and so is the carrier, the driver side isn't long enough to engage the inner driver side gear.. (there are two gears on the driver side and the axle shaft is only engaging the outter one, giving me the no rolling problem) Eric sent the same unit back and we test fitted the axle shafts before mating the Center section, everything was fine there.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Hmm, yes, we all know that. However, people are notorious for calling them everything from a posi to a locker and expecting us to sort out the correct unit. Just trying to understand the OP's situation, have never heard of (or even imagined) an axle shaft being too short...
Stuff happens man, As long as Eric makes it right (and he is) everything is gonna be alright. I'm just a little dissapointed I won't be able to spray 150-200 at Bayou Drag like I planned. Ill be spraying 100 wet on a stock rear and keeping my fingers crossed

Quick Reply: Rear end problems on strange 9"