Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Has anyone ever bent a output shaft due to driveshaft failure?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Has anyone ever bent a output shaft due to driveshaft failure?

I had my drive shaft have a critical speed failure, and it broke my tail housing off my trans (67 camaro, no torque arm) the shaft was defintly the start of the failure but I dont know if my trans will be hurt more than just a tail housing. Has anyone heard of more damage? looking on the forums I cant find any mention of it, but anything is possible.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:46 PM
FormerVendor

Anything is possible is the best description for this. A customer had a similar failure that took out everything from the flywheel back including transmission, clutch, pressure plate as well as the 10-bolt rearend.

Carl
Old 06-11-2013, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Carl at CRP
Anything is possible is the best description for this. A customer had a similar failure that took out everything from the flywheel back including transmission, clutch, pressure plate as well as the 10-bolt rearend.

Carl
thanks for the response, i figured anything was possible, just trying to get a consensus of how many had it happen, or if bending the output shaft would be unusual
Old 06-12-2013, 04:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

T56? If it is I would suspect it. Tear down to the point that you can spin the main/ output shaft. It is supported at the end of the main case. You might even start it up long enough just to look at it. But I'm sure a dial indicator would be more appropriate and turn.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sicksspeed
T56? If it is I would suspect it. Tear down to the point that you can spin the main/ output shaft. It is supported at the end of the main case. You might even start it up long enough just to look at it. But I'm sure a dial indicator would be more appropriate and turn.
sorry, its a built 4l70. I should have specified, thanks for the responses!
Old 06-19-2013, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well it ended up not mattering, the case was broken internally, and my low reverse piston was shattered. New trans time...

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever bent a output shaft due to driveshaft failure?