Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Can't pinpoint this whine coming from center or rear of car

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 05:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Can't pinpoint this whine coming from center or rear of car

Just took the maiden voyage on my new rear and suspension setup, and whenever I JUUUUST touch into the throttle, I get this humm or whine like "deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee". Doesn't happen when in neutral rolling, or on decel with the motor, is linear with speed and contines with added throttle until the exhaust drowns it out, guy I bought the rear from said it had no whine, but I can hear this over my pretty loud exhaust.

Setup is a ls1 10 bolt with 3.73 motive gears, eaton HD posi, stock lt1 steel driveshaft that had been sitting for a while and had a bit of surface rust on the yoke and u joints, spohn short style chassis mounted torque arm with poly bushings ( I did NOT install the little rubber pads between the chassis mount and the body), spohn non adjustable poly Lcas, poly single adjustable phb, BMR lowering springs with the isolators. I've tried texting and pming the guy I got the rear from with no response, I REALLY hope it's not a bearing or the gears in the rear, posi works, I haven't gotten under the car yet but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas?

Last edited by bufmatmuslepants; 06-13-2013 at 05:41 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:30 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just developed a whine in my brothers rear after we did a six speed rear swap and rebuilt it. It turns out that the pinion nut came loose and pinion bearing was toast according to my buddy who rebuilt the rear for me. It was similar to what you are describing and it would whine on decel as well. Got away with it not bearing anything major, hopefully yours is something that simple.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:40 PM
12 Second Club

Crawled under it at ride height today and found nothing touching only found that one of the front bolts for the hangar to the chassis mount for the torque arm was loose, so I tightened that up and got rid of the "thud" I'd get but still had the "deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" driving around the block. Trying to post a video....
Old 06-14-2013, 04:46 PM
12 Second Club

Sent the video to my buddy who has rebuilt his 10 bolt 5 times and he says either pinion bearing or improperly set up gears. But since it only does it on acceleration and not coasting or decel is that it? Could it be pinion angle since I didn't adjust the torque arm when I installed it on my lowered car vs the previous owners drag car?
Old 06-18-2013, 06:16 AM
12 Second Club

Is it common to set up gears tight for drag racing? Like maybe he set them up with little lash on purpose to make it last longer?

Quick Reply: Can't pinpoint this whine coming from center or rear of car