Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

In the middle of 8.8 build

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default In the middle of 8.8 build

Got a problem I'm hoping someone can help me with. I am in the process of an 8.8 build with the larger Explorer rear. I have sleeves machined down and have already made my truing bar on the lathe. My problem lies in that I have misplaced my measurements for the 10 bolt and 8.8, and the tubes are already cut off both rears. I have searched on the forums, but find conflicting numbers. Im not sure if this is because some guys are running LT-1 rears and others LS-1 or if that even matters. I have the LS1 and what Im hoping is can someone tell me the measurements I need for axle tube length on each side? Maybe tip to tip or tip to housing, also perch to perch. Any or all of these so I can get back on track and have the rear centered and trued up under the car. Thanks in advance!!
Old 06-18-2013, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by badtransam97
Got a problem I'm hoping someone can help me with. I am in the process of an 8.8 build with the larger Explorer rear. I have sleeves machined down and have already made my truing bar on the lathe. My problem lies in that I have misplaced my measurements for the 10 bolt and 8.8, and the tubes are already cut off both rears. I have searched on the forums, but find conflicting numbers. Im not sure if this is because some guys are running LT-1 rears and others LS-1 or if that even matters. I have the LS1 and what Im hoping is can someone tell me the measurements I need for axle tube length on each side? Maybe tip to tip or tip to housing, also perch to perch. Any or all of these so I can get back on track and have the rear centered and trued up under the car. Thanks in advance!!
do you still have the carrier installed in the 8.8?

if so, all you need is a measurement of how far the axle sticks out of the tube to make the brakes work right. then just stick the axle in, pop on the c-clip, seat it, and you should be able to find your measurement.

i have mine, but they are for a 3rd gen width...sorry
Old 06-18-2013, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Does this help? Should work for a custom axle using c-clips. Stock LS1 axle is 32" I believe. Exploder's have 31-spline carriers.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesnt have the carrier in it at the moment. hiltsy, It would, but I literally have no numbers to go off of now that my notepad mysteriously grew legs and walked off!! So unless I go buy another 10 bolt to measure off of, or find a random ls1 car sitting around, all I have is you guys to possibly help me out. Thanks!
BTW- I am unsing the exploder 31 spline rear..
Old 06-19-2013, 05:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Well if the stock 10-bolt axle is 32", and I believe the 10-bolt cross-pin is 3/4", then the 10-bolt is 64 3/4" axle-flange to axle-flange since the c-clip axles ride against the pin. Just do the math to find the housing width. You'll need to install the 8.8 carrier and measure from the cross-pin to locate the housing ends.

Quick Reply: In the middle of 8.8 build