Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rearend Wobble?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rearend Wobble?

Dyno yesterday we noticed the rear looked to be wobbling. By "wobbling" I mean tire rotating unevenly on both sides. I just had lots of new parts installed including: 9inch shortened 3 inches each side, new driveshaft, torque arm, lca's, panhard, new rotors and pads from brake motive, custom boze wheels, qa1 coilovers front and rear. Does anyone know of any particular part that would cause this problem, other than the obvious reason of re-torquing the wheels back on the car to make sure they are flush? I pick the car up tomorrow so any feedback is appreciated thanks
Old 06-25-2013, 09:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe the lug stud holes/center hubs were machined off-center? Should be easy to track down, whatever it is...
Old 06-26-2013, 08:10 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Jack up the car and remove the wheels. At idle and in gear see if you may have a bent axle, if not it has to be in a wheel. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 06-26-2013, 08:40 AM
Launching!

I've had new axles that would not allow the brake disc to seat correctly without either machining the axle or grinding out the rotor. As already mentioned, other possibilities are bent axle (been there) or problem with the wheels since they're custom. Correct lug spacing between new axles and wheels? Not a mix/match of 5x4.75" and 5x120mm?
Old 06-27-2013, 10:43 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SSellers
Correct lug spacing between new axles and wheels? Not a mix/match of 5x4.75" and 5x120mm?
How would I check this?

Also my HP numbers on the Dyno seem way low 350, should be more around 400, could the rear end wobble be causing the low dyno #'s

Last edited by bouttime; 06-27-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bouttime
How would I check this?

Also my HP numbers on the Dyno seem way low 350, should be more around 400, could the rear end wobble be causing the low dyno #'s
Using a micrometer. It's hard to get since the two are so close, only 0.7mm difference. It would be best if you knew how your custom wheels and axles were ordered.

One other thing, if the new axles don't have a hub lip sticking out to locate the wheels hubcentrically (most aftermarket ones don't, and most aftermarket wheels are not set up for it anyway) then you have to rely on properly installing the lugnuts to center the wheel using conical seat lug nuts. If you tighten down the first lug nut with an impact before getting all of them seated right or don't tighten in a crisscross pattern it is possible to have the wheel shifted slightly.

Quick Reply: Rearend Wobble?