Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Who knows about pinion and drivetrain angles?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by oakley6575
Those are pretty cool vids and really put it in perspective. If you go to the 11:00 min mark on the second vid, he is slowing down and then gets on it. You can see the pinion rise quite a bit. Is that a bad angle between the pinion and driveshaft when he does that?
In the second video the problem is "fixed" by the caltrac bars. The bars you're planning to use are similar, they all do the same thing.

Angle changes like the ones seen in the video stress the components because the joint at the pinion is now oscillating rather than rotating. Hence the need to keep the angles the same, which cancels that oscillation.

A torque arm mounted to a cross member with a strong heim joint would work much better at stopping axle wrap, and keeping the driveline angle correct.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys. I have a question. I have a 2008 silverado 1500 that I put a 4/6 drop kit in. The rear ir a axle flip kit. And now my pinion angle is off. I meassured the angles and got -7* at the trans yoke and +1* at the pinion. Obviously I get a kinda bad vibration. And bell tech makes them pinion shims that go between the the rear axle mount and the leaf spring to correct the pinion angle they make 2* 4* and 6* shims. I was thinking I needed a 6* shim but now I'm thinkin I need a 4* because if I move the pinion angle *4 the yoke angle should come back a little and be -5* or -6* making it even or -1* off. Or is it better to get the 6* shims don't know if pointing the pinion angle down that 6* is going to change the driveshaft angle enought to make the difference in the -7* at the trans yoke. Help me please!
Old 02-25-2021, 09:38 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

At UMI we use the app Tremec Toolbox on our phones. I also have the Spicer app to double check. They are both nice and graphical and have tech tips and help right on the screens.

Make sure your suspension is loaded as it will be when the car is sitting in the driveway and not hanging down in full droop when measuring.

ramey
The following users liked this post:
oldngray (02-26-2021)

Quick Reply: Who knows about pinion and drivetrain angles?