Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 9" with spool walking under car

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 05:47 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moser 9" with spool walking under car

I just installed my 9". I've noticed that the distance between the tire and back cap change depending on which way I've turned last. I'm pretty sure nothing's loose, nor do I have adjustable lca's. I haven't had a chance to jack the car up yet, but will be looking into it Friday. Is this common with wide tires/rims and a spool. Thanks
Old 07-10-2013, 08:23 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The incredible stresses induced while turning with a spooled rear can easily compress and stretch the old rubber ends of stock lower control arms. If You were to jack up the rear of Your car when its parked after turning You will hear and see everything straighten out.
Its best to have a few feet of straight driving before parking to avoid this.
Carl
Old 07-10-2013, 08:32 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Brennen's01SS
I just installed my 9". I've noticed that the distance between the tire and back cap change depending on which way I've turned last. I'm pretty sure nothing's loose, nor do I have adjustable lca's. I haven't had a chance to jack the car up yet, but will be looking into it Friday. Is this common with wide tires/rims and a spool. Thanks
If you have a stock panhard bar it may be flexing considerably with the rear having a spool. I would also check to see if your panhard bar is tight. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 07-10-2013, 08:34 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Brennen's01SS
Originally Posted by Carl at CRP
The incredible stresses induced while turning with a spooled rear can easily compress and stretch the old rubber ends of stock lower control arms. If You were to jack up the rear of Your car when its parked after turning You will hear and see everything straighten out.
Its best to have a few feet of straight driving before parking to avoid this.
Carl
Carl is absolutely right, when you turn with a car that has a spool in the rear end it puts a ton of stress on the suspension parts so if you have lower control arms with rubber or even poly-urethane bushings they will give and the rear end will actually **** underneath the car (one wheel will be further forward and the other will be further rearward. The best option is to run lower control arms with rod ends/spherical bearings which don't have any give and it will keep you rear end located under the car where it should be even when turning. Also going with a better panhard bar with anything other than rubber bushings will also help minimize any side to side movement.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 07-10-2013, 10:53 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies, I'm currently running adjustable panard bar( spherical and poly ends). Bmr non adjustable lca with both poly ends. And bmr adjustable torque arm relocated. So I guess all I can do is run spherical ended lca's. Who offers these?

Quick Reply: Moser 9" with spool walking under car