Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

broken stud..reluctor ring..

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy broken stud..reluctor ring..

So to make a very long and frustrating weekend/week simple..I took my 96' TA to my local Tire Barn last Saturday to get my new 285/40/18 goodyear f1 supercar's put on the rear,all went fine,but I noticed a little bit of inner wheel well rubbing on the way home when I would hit bumps,so when I got home i decided to remove the wheels to bang in the wheel wells a bit..Well I go to remove the driver side first,get all the lugs loose except for one,which happens to be my security lug..It wont budge at all..They obviously cross threaded it on..So instead of stripping it out,I take it back to Tire Barn..They try to remove it and strip out the lug..So then they knock a socket on it and get it off,but break the stud in the process..While trying to replace the stud they run into problems trying to get it by the reluctor ring..My car has ABS/TC..So I inform them that the ring is actually apart of the axle itself..They then tell me to take it to the shop of my choice for repairs and they will cover the bill..Well I take it to my local chevy dealership and they tell me the GM write up for repairing it is to replace the axle itself..GM has discontinued it,but Moser makes a replacement..But Where can I find a reluctor ring?? The GM tech said I shouldnt have the ring pulled off and pressed back on because it may not stay in place..But if I get a new axle,my ring will have to get pulled and pressed on that one anyways..Or I could get a new ring and it would be pressed on..Either way a ring will be getting pressed on..But Im just kind of wondering if any of you have some advice for me and what i should have them do..My car has the GU5 rear end btw..And yea after all this,Im going to save up for a 9"..lol
Old 07-18-2013, 06:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

If the reluctor is removed without damage,it can be put on a different axle. I've done it.
All LS1 4 channel axles are the same,I don't know about those for an LT.
The ring just 'sits' on the axle so it can be sensed by the sensor,there is no kind of pressure on it.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:29 AM
TECH Veteran

GM parts layout catalog shows the same part number(26063144) for traction control axles for 95 thru 97. Evidently there's a difference from the 98-02 traction control axles which have a part number of 26059972.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are at least 2 different reluctor rings for the 95-97 and they are difficult to find. You might call Moser to see if they can help. Strange does not have them.

Carl
Old 07-20-2013, 06:52 AM
TECH Veteran

The 2 different reluctors are for 3 channel ABS and 4 channel ABS & TC.
The 3 channel reluctors for 95-97 AND 98-02 are 26014607-2 series 106 teeth and 26029185-3 series 106 teeth. Only difference is the 3 series is thicker/wider to be able to be sensed by the sensor.
The 4 channel reluctors are 47 teeth and GM doesn't indicate a seperate part number for the ring as they come assembled onto the axles. Since the 3 channel rings are the same for 95 thru 02,I strongly suspect that the 95-97 4 channel rings would be the same as the 98-02 4 channel rings.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:04 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2 different reluctor rings I'm referring to are 4-ch. One being the same tooth count as the 98-02 the other I cant remember the tooth count. Just went through trying to find the correct rings for one of these. Its not a common deal.

Carl
Old 07-21-2013, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
If the reluctor is removed without damage,it can be put on a different axle. I've done it.
All LS1 4 channel axles are the same,I don't know about those for an LT.
The ring just 'sits' on the axle so it can be sensed by the sensor,there is no kind of pressure on it.
I have the same issue with the lt1 w/ ABS 4ch. I'm trying to put on longer wheel studs. How can you remove and replace the reluctor ring without damaging it?
Old 07-21-2013, 03:18 PM
TECH Veteran

I put a wedge(typically a round solid rod) between the ring and axle flange and tap/hammer the wedge down to get slight seperation,do it in 4 places around. work up to a larger wedge when needed. haven't broke/damaged one yet.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
I put a wedge(typically a round solid rod) between the ring and axle flange and tap/hammer the wedge down to get slight seperation,do it in 4 places around. work up to a larger wedge when needed. haven't broke/damaged one yet.
Thanks! How do you reinstall them?
Old 07-22-2013, 01:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

They are a "light" press fit meaning a press is not required. You do not need to replace your axle. I would: pull the axle out, heat the reluctor with a small propane torch and gently pry between it and the axle flange, a buddy here helps. Tapping the pry bars helps also. Takes a few minutes just be patient. Replace your wheel stud, or all of them if you want. To reinstall find a pipe as long as the axle with the correct diameter to press towards the center of the ring, few taps and you're golden. Reinstall the axle and done.

Quick Reply: broken stud..reluctor ring..