Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Mystery sound...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery sound...

So my car has this bad thumping sound. It soumds like there is something banging in the transmission tunnel. Took a quick look umder the car amd didn't see anything wrong with the driveshaft or u joints. I dI'd see there was a lot of fluid coming from the rear end.

Well me and a buddy jacked the car up today. Other than a leaking seal, everthing seems to check out on the rear, DS and joints. But I did notice near the front of the DS there were some very fresh scratches on the tunnel.

Could it maybe be a bad trans mount? I bought my same friends old 10 bolt for cheap, but if it's as simple as swapping a new mount, I'd much rather do that.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's what it sounds like to me. My trans mount had entirely separated aside from the safely tab thing and it would bang around on shifts. And with scratches on the north end of the trans tunnel, I'd definitely say yours is doing just that. But don't even bother asking whether to get a poly or rubber trans mount.... That never gets resolved. Bottom line: Rubber=comfortable but you'll likely be replacing it again and again and again, Poly=more vibrations and can cause tail of trans to break in rare cases (so I've read) but you won't have to replace it again. I went with poly.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah. Ya I found the problem. Turns out the horrible shop I took my car to didn't tighten any of the rear lugs. I literally got all of the rears off by hand. Tightened everything down and everything is good now.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:06 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol well glad you figured it out. The last shop I took my car to left the rear brake lines unhooked and dangling. Sooo I do everything myself now.

Quick Reply: Mystery sound...