Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Has anyone lightened the Moser 9" TA mount?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Has anyone lightened the Moser 9" TA mount?

I know, I know. It seems like a horrible idea at first but if you've ever seen the cast style torque arm mount that comes with a Moser 9" housing you'd know the thing is HUGE. It's like strapping a few bricks to the rear end the thing is so heavy. I might want do a bit of road racing down the road so reducing unsprung weight is key.

Has anyone ever lightened this thing? If not I'm probably just going to leave it alone.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:40 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Easy fix... MWC 9" torque arm retrofit. Yes you can install the same torque arms and crossmembers we use on our fabricated rearends to a stamped style 9" housing.

The MWC 9" adjustable torque arm mounts to the top and bottom of the housing and allows you to run a lower ride height without the known tunnel contact issue of the Moser rearend.

The entire MWC torque arm is lighter than just the adapter bracket for the Moser stamped style 9" rear.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would love some MWC stuff but I know I can't afford it
Old 01-27-2014, 06:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

How heavy is it? I have the early version of the Moser bracket and it is a fabricated weldment, which is fairly heavy as well, but I often wondered if there was a weight difference. I can weigh mine tonight cause its off the car.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not sure. Gonna borrow a scale and find out.

I don't think there's any spot with excess metal or extra material that can be removed. The shape looks pretty rigid, I think I might polish some of the rough edges and leave it be.

Quick Reply: Has anyone lightened the Moser 9" TA mount?