Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Almost $3000 for a new rear end... ouch

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 03:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Almost $3000 for a new rear end... ouch

ok so i have looked into getting a new rear end. I, pretty sure after reading about the options i have to choose from that i want a 9 Inch. I have a Adj. TQ arm w/ DS Loop and all the other suspension mods i need. Car makes about 500hp to the floor. My question is which will work best for my car? I see track time once a month, maybe twice. I know so little about this stuff so thats why im turning to the Pros!! Thanks in advance for your help and advice.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Not really sure what your question is.

You can go with either a 12 Bolt, S60, or 9 Inch.

I am a big fan of the 12 bolt for most applications. The 12 bolt is plenty strong enough for most street/strip cars and it has less parasitic loss than the 9 inch. If you go with the 12 bolt order one with bearing retainer housing ends.

The S60 is stronger than the 12 bolt and again has less parasitic loss than the 9 inch, it should have the bearing retainer housing ends.

The 9 inch is the most popular. Most people that go to it do not really need the features that made it popular with racers. The main reasons racers use it is for the multitude of ratios available and the ease of changing the gears.

If you are asking about which carrier to use there are a bunch of good ones.

Detroit Lockers are great for locking the axels together for straight line performance. The draw back is they tend to "clunk" when the locker is engaging and disengaging.

There are several posi type units, Eaton, Auburn, Wavetrac, & Trutrac. They all are good depending upon your application. They vary in price and you should contact a dealer or supplier to determine which is best for you.

Spools should only be used for drag racing. They lock both axels together so they fight you when going around a corner.

If you are asking about gear ratio that depends on a lot of variables, tire size, desired RPM range, transmission, cam, desired application, etc.

Your best bet is to contact a manufacturer or dealer, I would contact several to get differing opinions. There are several that are sponsors here on LS1Tech.

I hope this helped.

Good luck
Old 03-18-2014, 07:00 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by spec_j
ok so i have looked into getting a new rear end. I, pretty sure after reading about the options i have to choose from that i want a 9 Inch. I have a Adj. TQ arm w/ DS Loop and all the other suspension mods i need. Car makes about 500hp to the floor. My question is which will work best for my car? I see track time once a month, maybe twice. I know so little about this stuff so thats why im turning to the Pros!! Thanks in advance for your help and advice.
http://shop.brutespeed.com/Brute-Spe...nformation.htm
I have put together info at the above link that may answer some of your questions.

Are you planning on keeping your current power level, or may there be plans for increasing the power your car makes in the future? This will determine which differential to go with. The Wavetrac is the most expensive but it also can handle a lot more power. Take a look at the Moser rears I sell at this link. http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-9-a...Ends_c2632.htm Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 03-18-2014, 11:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

MWC rear setup, Sell your TA and DS loop as they come with one.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:50 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Give us a call and we can get you set up!!!!
Old 03-19-2014, 03:13 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
http://shop.brutespeed.com/Brute-Spe...nformation.htm
I have put together info at the above link that may answer some of your questions.

Are you planning on keeping your current power level, or may there be plans for increasing the power your car makes in the future? This will determine which differential to go with. The Wavetrac is the most expensive but it also can handle a lot more power. Take a look at the Moser rears I sell at this link. http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-9-a...Ends_c2632.htm Bob
I have personally purchased a couple of 9" rear ends through Bob over at Brute Speed so I would definitely recommend checking with him and seeing what he can do for. His prices were always very reasonable as well as his shipping times.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 03-20-2014, 10:16 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
I have personally purchased a couple of 9" rear ends through Bob over at Brute Speed so I would definitely recommend checking with him and seeing what he can do for. His prices were always very reasonable as well as his shipping times.
Thanks Kyle, I appreciate it! Bob

Old 04-13-2014, 01:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys!!
Old 04-15-2014, 09:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 12 bolt from Bob. Great guy !
Old 04-15-2014, 10:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Chevyman1968
I just bought a 12 bolt from Bob. Great guy !
Thanks for the order, I appreciate it! Bob

Old 04-16-2014, 02:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Strange 12 bolt is just what you need. Will last forever behind a 500hp auto.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Id look into a S60.

Quick Reply: Almost $3000 for a new rear end... ouch