Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser Press-ring size differences

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 12:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moser Press-ring size differences

After just having gone through this, I figured Id post up incase anyone else ran into the same issue.

Recently picked up a 12 bolt (big Ford ends) set up for 3 channel ABS. I needed 4 channel ABS, so I ordered the reluctor rings and new bearings/press rings from Moser.

The original press rings are 3/8" wide, and the new ones are 5/8" wide. Once the new rings are installed, they WILL make contact with the inner axle seals, so much so that they will cause the axle and bearing to stick out 1/8".

Not wanting to run without an inner axle seal, even though they are sealed bearings with outer o-ring, I picked up NAPA 15142 rear axle seals, and while thinner than the Moser seals, still not thin enough for proper clearance. I ended up installing them backwards which gave me plenty of clearance and should seal well enough.

After speaking with Moser, they have seen this problem before. They originally switched from the 3/8" to 5/8" press rings because some of the circle track guys had axles walking out from all the go-fast-turn-left. He said they're in the process of going back down to 1/2" I believe, which combined with the thinner NAPA seals, should give enough clearance.

Just a heads up, if you order new bearings and press rings, make sure to ask for the thinner press rings. If mine start leaking, that's what Im going to do, but for now Im betting what I did is going to work fine.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Rob,

Did you have noticeable interference when tapping the axle in? I just finished up my QP 9" and didn't think to pay attention to the rings/seals interface. The axles went in fully with the inner seals in place without any undue hammering. This is the only pic I have of the axle end and one of a few of the flange. I did measure to make a spacer for the Explorer brake swap and didn't see any clearance issues with measurements...
Attached Thumbnails Moser Press-ring size differences-100_2653s.jpg   Moser Press-ring size differences-100_2560s.jpg  
Old 03-18-2014, 09:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

I basically hit a wall with 1/8" to go... Was only lightly tapping, didn't wanna force it. If theres interference, you'll know it, but I would measure just to be safe, don't want that press ring riding on that seal. Looks like your housing ends aren't the flush bearing ones (I have the flush ends on mine), correct me if Im wrong but your bearings probably stick out of the flange 1/8" already? Hard to tell from the angle, looks like you may not have the 5/8" press rings I had to deal with either.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob WS6
I basically hit a wall with 1/8" to go... Was only lightly tapping, didn't wanna force it. If theres interference, you'll know it, but I would measure just to be safe, don't want that press ring riding on that seal. Looks like your housing ends aren't the flush bearing ones (I have the flush ends on mine), correct me if Im wrong but your bearings probably stick out of the flange 1/8" already? Hard to tell from the angle, looks like you may not have the 5/8" press rings I had to deal with either.
I didn't save my numbers, but from memory it seems as if the housing end was 0.790" deep and the bearing was 0.910" thick. So it did stick out a bit, but the Explorer caliper brackets took all of that plus an additional 0.210" spacer to make the stack solid again. I don't recall my QP rings being that thick either. And I think if the ring was gonna interfere, there would be an obvious "stoppage" as the seal ID is smaller than the ring OD.

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2014, 10:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Exactly, the ring would hit the body of the seal so you would definitely know if you were making contact.

Quick Reply: Moser Press-ring size differences