Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Bought an old Ford 9 inch. Need Help..

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 10:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bought an old Ford 9 inch. Need Help..

So I picked up a Ford 9 inch for 150 bucks. It has 3.42 gears in it and everything seems very smooth and operational. It had drum brakes on it and measures right around 64.5 inches axle to axle and has 5 studs. I do Not know what it is off of specifically.

I am a decent welder/fabricator and was wondering how hard it would be to convert it to fit my 2002 trans am. I'd like it to have 4 channel abs with my stock disc brake setup. I'm planning on running a turbonetics 7875 turbo with around 750hp on 14 psi

Links are very welcome. I have been told that I'll need to upgrade the axles, center section, and carrier.

I'd just like some feedback from people who actually have worked on, own, or have fabricated their own. Thanks
Old 04-15-2014, 03:54 PM
Launching!

bumppp
Old 04-15-2014, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

what brackets are on the axle now?? did it come from a leaf spring setup or 4 link setup?

regardless you will have to either fabricate new brackets or cut the old brackets off your current axle housing and weld them onto the "new" 9 inch.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:17 PM
Launching!

I believe its from a 4 link setup. You mean the mounting brackets off of the 10 bolt? Those will hold up on the 9 inch? Wont the springs/struts be aligned awkwardly? How would I line all that up perfectly? Just cut the brackets off with it still attached to the frame and line it up? What about all the brake lines n stuff for brackets? Will those need to be welded on as well?
Old 04-15-2014, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

you would most likely need new stronger axles for the 9 inch and you can get them setup with new hardware for the 4th gen..

as for all the tabs and whatnot you would just need to just fabricate new brackets for the brake lines.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:44 PM
Teching In

You will want to cut the ford ends off and get the Gm ends for a 9inch ford. I believe moser sells them for around $100. This will allow you to bolt your disc backing plates and hardware to the 9inch housing. Also the 9inch sits in a vehicle offset so that the driveshaft comes from the tranny at an angle, I cut mine so that it has 2.5 inch offset so that the driveshaft is in the center of the car and one axle is shorter than the other. The axles are equal length otherwise. As for the link arms, just pull your existing rear end, make a cradle/geometry jig so you can weld the original or fabbed bracketry to the 9inch. Save money but spend a lot of time.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:00 PM
Teching In

I also went with the square profile roller bearing and not the POS tapered bearing. This bearing does away with the need use a seal. I just apply some rtv to the outside diameter of the bearing and slide together.

Quick Reply: Bought an old Ford 9 inch. Need Help..