Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need input for a rearend swap!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 01:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need input for a rearend swap!!

2002 Camaro Z28, not a big fan of the 10 bolt 7.5" Torsen,
I would like to know what everyone else is running.
Bolt in would be nice. Application is for road racing/daily
street car. In need of something stronger. If you can direct me
towards some threads that would be great to. Thanks.

Gorman
Old 04-21-2014, 03:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

12 bolt (automatic)
9" (manual)
S60 and fabbed 8.8 rears are also options.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:14 AM
12 Second Club

My 12 bolt should be here tomorrow.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

12 bolt would be my choice for a simple bolt in for road racing. I personally prefer Strange over Moser.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:00 PM
11 Second Club

This rearend is the BEST money can buy. Its a true bolt in & it can handle alot of power.
I have this rearend in my car & it feels rock solid with this rearend.

Heres the link... http://www.midwestchassis.com/installed-9-pictures.html
Old 04-21-2014, 11:26 PM
Staging Lane

I'm really liking that Midwest NOS. If you don't mind me asking, what kind
of funds are we looking at for one of those??? $2500-3000??

I appreciate the post fellas, ChevyMan1968 you should have that rear re-directed
to my house. I've been hearing some great things about these Mosers. I've always
been a fan of Strange as well, but I'm on a college budget. Strange will have to
wait for another F-bod.

Anyone know where I can find information on these Mosers? Not understanding the 3
series and 4 series.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:40 PM
11 Second Club

Im thinkin the Housing that comes with with Custom Axles & Studs runs approx. 2400.00. The Center section with Posi is extra. This housing also includes either a short or long Torque arm, also a Transmission Tunnel Brace with Driveshaft Loop. My rearend has the optional Backbrace to make the rearend even stronger. I running the short torque arm which is better for drag racing.

The rearend comes Powdercoated also. Make sure you check out the options that are available for this rearend before you order one. I have the Oil Fill on top of my housing that makes Gear oil changes a breeze. You can also order a rearend that is narrowed 2.5 inches so you can run deep dish wheels for that desired deep dish look. Give Eric a call & he will explain the options to you.

Eric at Midwest has a TON of Happy Customers. This guy is an incredible Fabricator , Engineer , Suspension, Chassis Builder. He can build or make just about anything for your car.

Check out this link... https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...-new-pics.html

Last edited by NOS LS1; 04-21-2014 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cgormanZ28
Anyone know where I can find information on these Mosers? Not understanding the 3
series and 4 series.
hit up bob at brute speed on moser. if you mean 3 or 4 channels that refers to if you has just abs (3) channel or abs and traction control (4) channel.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:55 PM
Staging Lane

NOS I appreciate you man, I'm going to give him a call. $2400 is right in my price range.
I have some questions for him about my BMR torque arm and lower relocation brackets,
would be nice if I could transfer those to this housing. Thanks again.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:05 AM
Staging Lane

Giggle do you have a number by any chance?? Yeah I was thinking the channels
for the ABS system and it was saying 3/4 series. I was like what the hell is a 3 series.haha. Thanks man.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Giggle do you have a number by any chance?? Yeah I was thinking the channels
for the ABS system and it was saying 3/4 series. I was like what the hell is a 3 series.haha. Thanks man.
Bob@BruteSpeed is his username on here. he's a sponsor on here. just send him a PM tell him i sent ya. http://brutespeed.com is the website.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

NOS I appreciate you man, I'm going to give him a call. $2400 is right in my price range.
I have some questions for him about my BMR torque arm and lower relocation brackets,
would be nice if I could transfer those to this housing. Thanks again.
He said $2400 for the HOUSING. You still need a center section, gears, and some type of posi/spool/locker. Those will easily run you another $1000 for quality components. And, that appears out of your budget (your words) and its way overkill. That's more of a drag setup honestly. Strange has a better reputation then Moser in my opinion, that's why I recommended them. You can get into a 12 bolt for around your budget price, I should know I have one in my car. Eric at Midwest is a dealer for strange also if you really wanna order through them. I swear its like the blind leading the blind around here sometimes.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:36 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
He said $2400 for the HOUSING. You still need a center section, gears, and some type of posi/spool/locker. Those will easily run you another $1000 for quality components. And, that appears out of your budget (your words) and its way overkill. That's more of a drag setup honestly. Strange has a better reputation then Moser in my opinion, that's why I recommended them. You can get into a 12 bolt for around your budget price, I should know I have one in my car. Eric at Midwest is a dealer for strange also if you really wanna order through them. I swear its like the blind leading the blind around here sometimes.
http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-9-I...c-Truetrac.htm

A complete Moser 9 inch with a Trac-Loc is $2520.00 shipped. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 04-22-2014, 07:38 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by GiggleJuiced_SS
Bob@BruteSpeed is his username on here. he's a sponsor on here. just send him a PM tell him i sent ya. http://brutespeed.com is the website.
Thanks, I appreciate it! Bob

Old 04-22-2014, 11:43 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm really liking that Midwest NOS. If you don't mind me asking, what kind
of funds are we looking at for one of those??? $2500-3000??

I appreciate the post fellas, ChevyMan1968 you should have that rear re-directed
to my house. I've been hearing some great things about these Mosers. I've always
been a fan of Strange as well, but I'm on a college budget. Strange will have to
wait for another F-bod.

series and 4 series.
3/4 channel refers to the anti-lock braking system on the car. 3ch is abs only, 4ch is cars that have traction control.

The MWC fabricated 9" rear starts at 2850.00 shipped, and is by far the best value and quality you can get in a bolt-in 9" rearend for the f-body cars. Includes a complete true fabricated housing with the most standard features and available options of any aftermarket rearend, Strange axles, complete Strange nodular 3rd member with gear of choice, and... A custom lightweight and super strong chromoly adjustable toque arm with crossmember. We do offer this rearend completely assembled and ready to bolt in your car!

There are other options as well... Strange only makes a 12 bolt and S60 rear for the torque arm f-body cars... no 9" housings. The 12 bolt and S60 are both are durable, come complete, and high quality. The 12 bolt is a bit lighter then the S60, but not quite as strong, the S60 is the big brute. Heavy and heavy duty.

Moser make a descent 9" rearend that has been on the market for a very long time. There are a few drawbacks with technical things like torque arms hitting the floor and other minor issues, but this is the least cost 9" rear(depending on options cost can get very close to the MWC fabricated package)

Regardless of what you choose, MWC is a direct dealer for Strange and Moser both, along with manufacturing the now most popular 9" rear. If you get pricing from anyone else on a similar package we will beat it... GUARANTEED.

Give us a call and we will be happy to go over all the options available for you and work within your budget.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-9-I...c-Truetrac.htm

A complete Moser 9 inch with a Trac-Loc is $2520.00 shipped. Bob
I got ya. Personally I've heard nothing but bad things about trac-loks and that guy was talking about a Fab housing, which the $2500 Moser is not.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:46 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I got ya. Personally I've heard nothing but bad things about trac-loks and that guy was talking about a Fab housing, which the $2500 Moser is not.
I've never had a problem with a Trac Loc, I've had a lot of customers break Truetracs though. Bob

Old 04-22-2014, 09:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah tru-tracs are love it or hate it. Mine has been good to me. I don't have a history of tearing stuff up though...
Old 04-22-2014, 10:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ssvert99
3/4 channel refers to the anti-lock braking system on the car. 3ch is abs only, 4ch is cars that have traction control.

The MWC fabricated 9" rear starts at 2850.00 shipped, and is by far the best value and quality you can get in a bolt-in 9" rearend for the f-body cars. Includes a complete true fabricated housing with the most standard features and available options of any aftermarket rearend, Strange axles, complete Strange nodular 3rd member with gear of choice, and... A custom lightweight and super strong chromoly adjustable toque arm with crossmember. We do offer this rearend completely assembled and ready to bolt in your car!

There are other options as well... Strange only makes a 12 bolt and S60 rear for the torque arm f-body cars... no 9" housings. The 12 bolt and S60 are both are durable, come complete, and high quality. The 12 bolt is a bit lighter then the S60, but not quite as strong, the S60 is the big brute. Heavy and heavy duty.

Moser make a descent 9" rearend that has been on the market for a very long time. There are a few drawbacks with technical things like torque arms hitting the floor and other minor issues, but this is the least cost 9" rear(depending on options cost can get very close to the MWC fabricated package)

Regardless of what you choose, MWC is a direct dealer for Strange and Moser both, along with manufacturing the now most popular 9" rear. If you get pricing from anyone else on a similar package we will beat it... GUARANTEED.

Give us a call and we will be happy to go over all the options available for you and work within your budget.

Thank you for the information, this is exactly what I was looking for.
The application is for a daily driver/road racing vehicle. I want a bullet proof
drivetrain to hold up with the 427 I'm currently building. I have heard nothing
but fantastic things about Midwest so we'll be in touch once I get a break
from school and have some tech time (about 3 weeks).haha. Thanks for being patient, I'm a Mercedes tech so I'm not very knowledgeable about the different types of differentials available and the applications in which they apply. What is your opinion on the Auburn type?? Thank you for you time, I'll be in touch soon. - Chris -
Old 04-22-2014, 10:59 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah tru-tracs are love it or hate it. Mine has been good to me. I don't have a history of tearing stuff up though...

Which Strange rearend are you using currently and which differential
did you decide to go with? I'm not looking to go down the strip
but rather take it down the road to Sebring. I'm hearing the Auburn
is a very solid type and great for road racing, opinions?? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Need input for a rearend swap!!