Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Deceleration clicking: "Worn carrier case-side gear bores" -What?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 01:03 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Deceleration clicking: "Worn carrier case-side gear bores" -What?

I've had a clicking sound from the rear since I purchased my '02 SS with 65k miles (now 71k). It has the OEM 3.42 3-channel Torsen T2. It only occurs when decelerating and is speed-dependent (that is, as the car slows down, so does the clicking). I have changed the fluid and installed ARP cap studs and a LPW cover -- this did not make any difference.

FWIW, I'm running all-season Uniroyals along with UMI LCARLB with LCA on the bottom hole. I have made probably 10 passes or so over the past two years with generally consistent 1.9 60's slipping the clutch.

While I'm not annoyed by the sound, I am concerned about the condition of the rear. I did a quick search and found the following link: Quick Guide to Diagnosing Differential & Driveline Noises

Originally Posted by OnAllCylinders

Noise: Clicking while decelerating from 20 miles per hour to a complete stop
Cause: Worn carrier case-side gear bores
So, here are my questions for you axle gurus:

- What exactly are the "carrier case-side gear bores"?
- How do I go about fixing this before it gets worse?
- Is there any chance this is merely a nuisance and not at all anything to worry about?
- Any other info about the concern that I could be educated about?

Thanks!

Last edited by demonspeed; 06-25-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I'd guess axle bearing if anything. In my experience, the driver carrier bearing race (inner) is usually trashed on M6 cars with greater then 20k miles but the rear ends seem to live quietly until its discovered for other reasons. First, I would try to pinpoint your noise, on jacks stands and see if you can replicate the noise to try to specifically locate it.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:52 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wouldn't it be a constant whirring/rubbing type of sound (like the sound a hub bearing makes when it goes out) if it were an axle bearing?
Old 07-01-2014, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I suspect most likely, however, its always good to try to pinpoint the noise then guess. You just can never tell so investigation is key. Reading internet signs/symptoms will have you chasing your tail.

Quick Reply: Deceleration clicking: "Worn carrier case-side gear bores" -What?