Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How to change rear axle fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 02:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to change rear axle fluid?

I did some searching and couldn't really find a walkthrough on this. Perhaps it is really simple, but could someone give me a brief guide to doing this, including how much fluid and what kind of fluid I need to do this.
Thanks
Old 05-28-2004, 03:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To change the fluid in the stock rear end with stock rear diff. cover, you have to remove the diff. cover and let all the fluid spill out. Then put the cover back on and fill it up using the fill hole on the passenger side of the diff. housing. Should take about 1.75-1.9 quarts of gear oil. Just pour it in until it starts running out of the fill hole, then you know its full.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
To change the fluid in the stock rear end with stock rear diff. cover, you have to remove the diff. cover and let all the fluid spill out. Then put the cover back on and fill it up using the fill hole on the passenger side of the diff. housing. Should take about 1.75-1.9 quarts of gear oil. Just pour it in until it starts running out of the fill hole, then you know its full.
Yup. If you want you can also just loosen the bolts holding the cover in place and let the fluid drain out that way. Its a little messier and you can't clean the magnet inside the cover that way, but its easier. You can use a standard head screwdriver to lightly pry the bottom of the cover away from the housing if necessary. Just be careful not to damage the gasket.

For fluid, I like Redline 75W-90 gear oil (no limited slip additive needed with this fluid), but the choices are many.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:02 PM
Launching!

Sounds pretty straight forward. Is there anything I need to know about taking the cover off? Just loosen the bolts with a wrench? Any idea what size they are?
Old 05-28-2004, 08:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by elderon
Sounds pretty straight forward. Is there anything I need to know about taking the cover off? Just loosen the bolts with a wrench? Any idea what size they are?
No, nothing special to know except be careful for the fluid dripping out once you loosen the lower bolts. Can't remember the exact size of the bolts on the 10-bolt - probably your standard 1/2", 9/16", 13mm, or something like that...
Old 05-30-2004, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i recommend getting a cover with a drain plug.then unless you want to change your gears or are in need of repair youll never need to pull the cover to change the fluid.