Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How bad does this look?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How bad does this look?

Just drained diff fluid, pulled cover off and this is what I got. I'm seeing atleast 1 tooth, possibly 2 in there. And a ton of metal shavings. Do you all think it's ok to drive with it like this as long as I take it easy? I very well may just do a 12 bolt if funds allow in the next few months, but not sure.

Old 06-02-2004, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

The shavings look normal, but I dont know about the big chunks though.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:38 PM
On The Tree

how did you end up doing that?
Old 06-02-2004, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm sure the nitrous didn't help any, hahaha. I'm surprised they lasted this long, those gears have taken a good 2 years of beating at the drag strip and on the road. To be honest, I'm not sure how I did it. For all I know, it's been like that for a while now.

Long story short: moved from Alaska to Wyoming (military) and had car shipped to Seattle. Pick car up in Seattle, do a burnout while visiting family in Wa and car starts making a ticking sound. Dirvetrain related as you only hear it when you give it gas. Say screw it, drive it anyway, snap driveshaft in half outside Ogden, Utah. Looks like the driveshaft had been hitting my torque arm for some reason, and eventually broke in half. Because of that, I just today took off the diff cover to see what was inside. Not sure if the gears are related to the driveshaft incident, or a something that has been like that for some time now. Here are a few more pics I took after I posted this thread, I thought I had posted them in here, guess not.

Old 06-03-2004, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

i dont think you should drive like that.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I certainly won't after finding the damage in the 2nd set of pictures
Old 06-03-2004, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you do drive it, you wont make it far. i was driving a buddies car at the track for him and when i snatched 2nd it grabed so hard the mirror flew of the windsheild! i was like ...****! well i stayed in the gas because i was in the process of out running a mustang. after the run i was driving back from the timeslip booth and i heard a ticking sound. we were 100 miles from home and had to drive it. halfway home it was making one hell of a racket. made it home and pulled the cover. 6 teeth from the ring gear and 2 from the pinion were gone. glad we made it home.