Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Installed adjustable torque arm..but out of adjustment. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installed adjustable torque arm..but out of adjustment. Please help.

So I dropped my car an inch in the front...and in the rear(I just took out the spring cups/insulators)

I seem to have a little bit of a vibe. So I picked up an adj torque arm..installed it...and when I measure the pinion and driveline angles they are wrong.

I didnt write it down but it seems like I need to tighten the torque arm more to get it right....and well its basically out of adjustment as it's threaded as far in as it can go and im still off by about a degree or two to make it right.

Does this mean I need LCA relocation brackets? I thought those werent necessarily needed for small drops.

Anyway what do you recommend? or should I look into shimming the trans crossmember?

I dont want to pick up LCA relocation brackets if not truly needed.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

LCA re-los have NO effect on pinion/driveshaft angle. They affect the LCA angle to correct from lowering and/or a traction enhancement.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks...you sure on that then? right...so i wont even bother with relo's for now.

What do you think I should do to correct? Any articles on how to shim the transmount properly? I cant recall what degree I had at the tranny but it seemed ok. My phone got wiped i had pictures and everything.

I wanna get this all in correct. I dropped only 1 inch. I dont see how I wouldnt be able to get correction with just an adj torque arm.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The range of adjustment is a balance of the initial settings of the two rod ends and the turnbarrel. You could try un-screwing the top rod end a turn or two. Make sure to leave about 1 inch of theads engaged in the torque arm. You can also reset the initial setting on the lower turnbarrel if running out of adjustment on it. One more aspect of the torque arm adjustment to be aware of is that as you lengthen the upper and lower rod ends they diverge and increase the distance between them. This spreading apart will put a bind on the bolts that attach the torque arm to the mount bracket. On the better designed torque arms the lower rod end bolt hole in the attach bracket is elongated to account for the change in distance between the rod ends. If you remove the whole thing from the car you can play with it to see the effect of the various adjustments.

Last edited by guppymech; 05-09-2015 at 10:06 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

OP, I know how to set a pinion angle and want to help you but cant because your thread is poorly written. Please figure out WHAT angle you are at and let us tell you where to go from there. Cause right now we are pissing in the wind!
Old 05-04-2015, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the random technology tq arm. Attached pic.

I know I dont have the degrees...I took pics of it all but I recently had my phone wiped and lost it all. Im trying to pull the car in asap...but i kind of want to have a plan you know? Its a lot of work to get all 4 wheels leveled and raised to go in and screw. So Im asking before I get in there. I dont want to measure now because its hard to get a good measurement without sliding under.

But for sure fellas...the bottom needed an additional maybe 1 or 2 degrees more in...but it was unfortunately all in already.

I think my oversight was maybe the top linkage? Like one of you explained they're both relative. I didn't think to take it apart and all that..which is what it seems like I have to do now. Take it off to dissassemble the arm off the mount...and unscrew the top linkage 2 or 3 threads. **** im thinking maybe 4.

I know you want the degrees and i did have them. I was using the tremec app on my phone and it was working. So I think I was going to get it dialed in correctly if not for adjustment limit hit. I will post them as soon as I get up in there again. Just give me a plan so I can try to go in with a possible solution in one shot. I also have the magnetic kind tool with the shaky needle if you guys prefer the readings off those instead.

So far :
Ill take it down and open up top link 4 threads. Remount it and try again w Tremec app.

I'd consider the car daily driver so wont be putting in much track time. So if you have pointers on which degrees to aim for they're welcomed.

Thanks man. Im glad I posted before buying crap.
Attached Thumbnails Installed adjustable torque arm..but out of adjustment. Please help.-910000.jpg  

Last edited by License2Ill; 05-04-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Honestly, its not that critical that the car be level. Back on ramps is the easiest and quickest way. The way you describe it makes me hope you are checking it correctly, especially since you are saying you are out of adjustment area. That leads me to believe you are checking it incorrectly or something is grossly wrong like your torque arm was made incorrectly. My recommendation for a street no track car would be zero or near zero at ride height. You can go a few degrees negative if you wish but the more you go the more you are chancing vibration.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:00 PM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Random Tech torque arm as well and put a new adjuster and heim joints on mine last year. If I recall correctly, I did leave my top heim out a few turns. When I adjusted the angle to where I wanted, the bottom had no more threads showing. I remember this because I had to think about which way to turn the jam nut, as opposed to just being able to look at the threads.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hi sorry the summer showed up and I just waited. And then sob winter barely showed plus had school. So I was able to finally get the Tremec app to give all greens today. I did just like you fellas mentioned about the upper heim joint, I turned it out a lot but dont worry about an inch is still in, more than half its threads to be exact. I had to take the whole torq arm all the way down and that joint was all the way in flush and had no threads showing.

Things got somewhat problematic though. I had to shim the transmission.
I took first reading at the front of the engine flush against the harmonic balancer. Then second of course on the driveshaft. Then third on the drivers side ear behind the yoke on the body of the rear axle housing. This was a pain to conclude it was a good location that allowed the stupid phone to sit flush against as well as to determine it was a spot that is true to rear axle angle. But as far as I can see it is. I measured against the u joint connection as well and reading is the same also to other locations but found that this particular ear or rib to be the best for holding the phone square and flush.

It turned out that my engine/tranny is very much negative and is slopping downward which sucks because I cant setup the rear axle facing downward which is supposed to be better for traction. Anyway the engine/tr angle was initally reading 3.8 degrees which Tremec app disapproves of so I had no choice but to shim at rear of T56. This placed me at 2.3 or 2.0 and I have the rear at sometimes 1.0 or 2.1 . In either case total driveline angle is about 00.1

So anyway on my car the engine/tranny is negative(sloping downward) and the freakin rear axle is positive(sloping upward). I do have a manual angle finder with the bouncy needle and do want to take some more readings with it so tell me what they should be??....but to be honest between the app and the manual angle finder I was getting confused and just went with the app. To be thorough the rear wheels sit slightly higher by about 2/16ths of an inch. Its not a whole lot and one of you said it doesn't matter so I went ahead and set it with this minor detail because I plan to remeasure when I go for re-alignment and they jack up car on lift by wheels.

Im attaching some screen shots. I hoping u guys can confirm I did this right so I can bring this chapter of my fukn life to a completion. Thank you for your help and patience. The last reading of 2.0-2.1-00.1 I was able to duplicate three times. The others were previous to the those 3. Also I let loose the front poly bushing that pins the torque arm against the rear of transmission...that's should be ok right? Im going to tighten it after I confirm everything is correct. But it shouldnt give me a bad reading from this.
Attached Thumbnails Installed adjustable torque arm..but out of adjustment. Please help.-screenshot_2016-01-02-17-31-43.png   Installed adjustable torque arm..but out of adjustment. Please help.-screenshot_2016-01-02-17-50-34.png   Installed adjustable torque arm..but out of adjustment. Please help.-screenshot_2016-01-02-17-55-43.png  

Last edited by License2Ill; 01-02-2016 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes my driveline angle was slightly down, and I aimed the rear slightly up to match. Not sure about the lack of traction. Check my sig
Old 01-03-2016, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Yes my driveline angle was slightly down, and I aimed the rear slightly up to match. Not sure about the lack of traction. Check my sig

Thanks bro appreciate the help. You are definitely hooking up like an animal. Your sig is a scene that belongs on national geographic.

I hope I can make my battery jump a little when I bolt it all down today and go for a test ride.

Quick Reply: Installed adjustable torque arm..but out of adjustment. Please help.