Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Leaking Rearend??

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004 | 11:15 PM
On The Tree

Default Leaking Rearend??

About two weeks ago I noticed my rear-end was leaking. The fluid needed to be changed anyways so I changed it put a new gasket in with liquid gasket. I come home tonight and notice that it is still leaking and can not figure out why. When it was leaking before it seemed to be coming from the seal with the cover. It still looks to be coming from the same area. Dose anyone have any ideas on why it mite still be leaking?

Thanks
Adam
Old 06-03-2004 | 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you even slightly overtighten the bolts it will leak. I finally stopped my leak by beating the cover flat (overtightened) and cleaning the cover and rearend with brake cleaner (making sure to get any fluid out of the bolt holes- it'll be forced out when you put the bolts in and ruin the RTV seal), then using Gray (anti-oil) RTV and no gasket. Bolted the cover up, let the RTV set up overnight and filled with NON-synthetic fluid (the synthetics seem to find even the smallest gaps to leak from).
Old 06-04-2004 | 09:31 AM
On The Tree

Why would you want to not use a gasket?
Old 06-04-2004 | 01:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Its not at all uncommon for factory 10-bolts to leak from the pinion seal and in some cases from the axle tubes.
Old 06-04-2004 | 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lukin
Why would you want to not use a gasket?
If the stamped steel cover is deformed the gasket will not be enough to fill the gaps.
Old 06-08-2004 | 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine has leaked form day one. at 9,000 miles or so i blew my posi so i opened it up to see if anything else broke and to try and fix the leak. i used RTV seal too, and the bottom of the cover was all banged up and kept leaking. i beat it flat and tryed putting more RTV seal around it but that didnt even slow it down. it all leaked out in a week or two and i was going to just run it dry till it broke(hasnt broke yet in 9,000 miles, the tranny has though),but maybe ill try your method. is there a TQ number for the bolts or just some way to tell how tight is "tight enough"?
Old 06-08-2004 | 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
Its not at all uncommon for factory 10-bolts to leak from the pinion seal and in some cases from the axle tubes.
Ditto! Probably the pinion bearing seal.
Old 06-09-2004 | 04:16 PM
On The Tree

I think I got it to stop. I just used the Gray RTV and put a ton if it on there. At the rate it was leaking all the fluid would of been gong in a few days and I don't plan on breaking it so I want to keep fluid in there.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Adam