Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rotational noise while braking

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 10:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Rotational noise while braking

I have had an annoying rotational noise while braking coming from the left rear of the car. I have one of the Extreme 8.8" rears with 4.10's. I pulled the cover of the rear and inspected everything and changed to some Royal Purple fluid. I could find no problems in the rear, so I brought the car back to Craig at Extreme and he found the left rear axle flange was running 0.015" out of true. This was causing the brake rotor wobble on the caliper floating pins causing the noise. Craig put in a new Moser axle on the left rear and that fixed the problem. I don't know if the axle was bad from Moser or not. The rear only has about 1000 miles on it and a few runs.

Maybe this will help the next guy out there who is scratching his ***** trying to figure out the wierd noises coming from the car.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is exactly what my extreme chassis 8.8" has done a for a while now. I knew it was something to do with the axle b/c the outside of the rear left rotor would push out and rub the inside of the caliper bracket and cut little grooves in my rotor. I fixed most of it by grinding down the inside left caliper bracket, but it's not 100% gone.

Thanks for the great info, I new it was axle related but I didn't want to take my 8.8" apart (again)!

I remember Damian having an axle length problem with his EC 8.8" but I think he got new axles for it.