Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

3 channel with 4 channel axles?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 channel with 4 channel axles?

What's up guys. Pats are killing Houston currently so I have to time to ask an axle concern. I have a 98 trans am and to my knowledge a 3 channel abs system. (I don't have a tcs button like I had on my last 2000 car. It's just an empty storage in the center) I forgot to check for sensors on the backing plates while I had it out of the garage last. But let's just say it is for sure. I'm doing a lot of rear end work and going to pick up some used Moser axles with a few thousand miles on them. The seller has the abs tone rings already installed. I have a 3 channel. Can I use thses axles? I've never done Any work in the rear any fourth gen I've owned so I didn't even know the were a press on deal. Most axles I see at work (Toyota) have rings integral to the axle. If I take them off will they work? Or is not possible to downgrade from 4 channel axles to 3 channel housing? I'm guessing no. Sorry for the extreme detail but I'm buying them this week and want to make sure first. Thanks guys.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:50 PM
Teching In

Bump. Thanks is for moving the thread. I overlooked the chassis suspension and apperance link. Brought down many more thread options lol been a while for me here.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

you can use the axles as is,won't be a problem.

Name:  34channelaxles.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  59.5 KB

but if you can remove the rings,they are sellable because they're rare(no longer made/no longer available) and command a premium to replace a broken one or used on an aftermarket axle.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:07 PM
Teching In

My thoughts exactly. I did some home work on here. Took a little digging....Actually I don't know if it was you who posted it but the same pic reassured me lol good. I'll keep them I'm case I get another later model 4th gen at a later time. Unless they go for that much. What do they run used? On the gear And axles section alone here a bunch of guys have the opposite problem it seems. Guess they are like door panels and factory ram air hoods lol
Old 12-15-2015, 08:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
but if you can remove the rings,they are sellable because they're rare(no longer made/no longer available) and command a premium to replace a broken one or used on an aftermarket axle.
They are available new on ebay for $20.
The following users liked this post:
Blac94z28 (01-22-2024)
Old 12-15-2015, 10:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

^^^ good to know !

Quick Reply: 3 channel with 4 channel axles?