Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Do i need the additive when changing gear oil??

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Question Do i need the additive when changing gear oil??

So im about to add a TA rear girdle... did a lot of searching and found mixed opinions... if i use Mobil1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant LS 75W-90 Part No. 104361/98W573
is the additive necessary?
If so can i use K & W Chemical Trans-X® Posi Trac® Limited Slip Gear Oil Additive, 7 oz. Part No. 402508

Or do i need the GM additive?
Thanks for any info!
Old 04-23-2016, 05:54 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,278 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

You didn't specify what year the rear/car is. For 1998 and earlier (Auburn), you'll definitely want the GM LSD additive and conventional 80w90 lube. If it's a '99+ Torsen rear, it wouldn't hurt to use the additive but it's not really required (though some people claim the rear is a bit quieter with it), and synthetic 75w90 lube is fine.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The bottle of Mobil 1 says LS on it... it already has limited slip additive in it.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joecar
The bottle of Mobil 1 says LS on it... it already has limited slip additive in it.
Sometimes, for a clutch pack type of diff (i.e; Eaton Posi, whether steel or carbon clutches), there is not enough additive in the various gear lube products to keep the clutches quiet on low speed, high angle turns, like pulling into a parking spot.

IF racing, and not caring about this noise, there is probably enough added to most gear oils which claim to have it in the formula to keep the clutches from wearing too quickly.

Anyway, less additive will let the clutch pack lock up quicker, and more fully for better corner exit while autocrossing/road racing.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
You didn't specify what year the rear/car is. For 1998 and earlier (Auburn), you'll definitely want the GM LSD additive and conventional 80w90 lube. If it's a '99+ Torsen rear, it wouldn't hurt to use the additive but it's not really required (though some people claim the rear is a bit quieter with it), and synthetic 75w90 lube is fine.
Sorry forgot that detail... its a 99....
I ended up getting the Mobil 1 and additive and added the TA cover.. install went smooth and everything feels great thus far...

quick additional question, is the Torsen a stronger/better unit then the 98 Auburn?

Thank you for your replies!
Old 04-27-2016, 12:01 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,278 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by ls1charged
quick additional question, is the Torsen a stronger/better unit then the 98 Auburn?
Not in my experience. The Torsens seem to fail just as often, maybe more, and they aren't any stronger; they should last longer in theory, but that doesn't seem to be the case in practice.

The Auburn is quieter, and a bit more "predictable/seamless" (for lack of a better term) in my opinion.

I've had three Torsens, two of them since brand new, and all of them chattered during low speed coasting situations in certain types of curves or on uneven ground. Never had that issue with the Auburn.

Quick Reply: Do i need the additive when changing gear oil??