Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

12 bolt or 8.8 for my application?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 02:38 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 12 bolt or 8.8 for my application?

I dont know what the car puts down now, but back when it was a 6 speed and lots of mods ago, it put down 417 rwhp 388 rwtq. Currently the car is a bolt on car with a cam. I plan on going with a pretty big cam, but havent decided on which one. My plans are to see how far I can go with cam only and then when the funds become available, I will throw on a set of heads. I currently have a SS4000, but I plan on swapping it out or a Yank Pro Thruster 4400. I currently have my completely stock 3.42 10 bolt. Im itching for a lower gear, but I dont want to mess with my 10 bolt, that is why Im asking what rear to use. In the cooler season, I like to get my car out at least once a week, somtimes twice. In the hotter season, I dont go very often, just when the weather is "better". Im making lots of changes during the hotter season that way when I start running it again in the cooler temps. I can see some drastic changes. I dont drive the car much on the street anymore, maybe once or twice a week (usually on the weekend for meet ups), but havent been driving it much at all lately. So basically the car's use is at the strip and cruises here and there on the street. The car doesnt have a radical set up, so I dont want to go as far as a 9". So from the info that Ive provided, what rear end would best fit me? Thanks a lot.

By the way, I know nothing about 8.8s, so any info that you want to mention about them, please do because it would only benefit me. Also, would I have to find a junk 8.8 and have it built somewhere or is there particular shops or companies that build these rears without having to provide a core? Id like to buy one as easy as I could buying a 12 bolt. (ready to bolt up)
Old 06-16-2004, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the same boat as you, I need a bigger rear. I have looked on ebay. I found that building a rear end from any of the parts they have will still run around 22-2400 bucks. I hear that with all the cutting and welding needed to put on a ford 8.8 or 9" would be as exspensive as a 12 bolt, and the 12 bolts fit right. I have been looking and calling junk yards looking for a wrecked ls1 with a 12 bolt or a nice for rear.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SLO-LS1
I have been looking and calling junk yards looking for a wrecked ls1 with a 12 bolt or a nice for rear.
Yeah like someone would leave their 12 bolt in a wrecked car
Old 06-16-2004, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

he can pray
Old 06-17-2004, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

Well not even a used 12 bolt, but a used 8.8 or 9" out of a wrecked mustang. I just dont want to spend $2K for a rear. And I bet you there are wrecked Ls1's with thier 12 bolt still intact sitting at a junk yard. I have to atleast try!!

Last edited by 1SLO-LS1; 06-21-2004 at 06:10 PM.