Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Noise from Rear on slow turns

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Default Noise from Rear on slow turns

I've attached an audio file. I was slow rolling (2 mph) in a parking lot this morning and recorded this. It actually sounded like it was coming from the left rear side but I can't be 100%. The 10 bolt was rebuilt less than 20k ago. The axles and bearings are less than a year old and I just replaced my rotors and rear brakes.

Thoughts?
Attached Files
File Type: mp3
BullFrog_In_My_Rear.mp3 (540.8 KB, 66 views)
Old 11-28-2016, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any thoughts on this sound? The sound moves from one axle to the other. In other words when I cut my wheel to the right and back up (or go forward), I hear it on the L rear. If I cut it left and backup (or go forward) I hear it at the R rear. Sometimes there is a clunk when i am taking off from a stop. I contacted the shop that rebuilt the diff, and I haven't been able to get in touch with them. I may just have to drive it to him. I've never felt great about it. It's always had this whine at part throttle with little to no load. He looked at it and said that the gear pattern was perfect. About two months after the built, it started making noises that ended up being the crush sleeve.

Anyhow, if anyone could help, I would appreciate it.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:37 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TA_Freak
Any thoughts on this sound? The sound moves from one axle to the other. In other words when I cut my wheel to the right and back up (or go forward), I hear it on the L rear. If I cut it left and backup (or go forward) I hear it at the R rear. Sometimes there is a clunk when i am taking off from a stop. I contacted the shop that rebuilt the diff, and I haven't been able to get in touch with them. I may just have to drive it to him. I've never felt great about it. It's always had this whine at part throttle with little to no load. He looked at it and said that the gear pattern was perfect. About two months after the built, it started making noises that ended up being the crush sleeve.

Anyhow, if anyone could help, I would appreciate it.
That sounds nothing like a wheel bearing problem, it does however sound like a suspension component rubbing steel on steel. I think a thorough visual inspection looking at suspension pivot points will result in finding the guilty culprit.

Carl
Old 11-29-2016, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Carl at CRP
That sounds nothing like a wheel bearing problem, it does however sound like a suspension component rubbing steel on steel. I think a thorough visual inspection looking at suspension pivot points will result in finding the guilty culprit.

Carl
Thanks for the response. I feel a bitter better now. I am on my 3rd set of axles and bearings, so I agree that it's not an axle bearing. I do have some other "creaking" noises that may be related to this. I had been thinking possibly dry bushings (and maybe cold weather related?); it's mainly when going over speed bumps and bumps in general. Everything is pretty new except the Bilsteins which probably have 80k on them by now. All bushings back there are rubber except the poly on one side of the panhard rod. I've got some Konis waiting to go in so I'll give it a full inspection while under there. I did just recently install a TSP catback system but it looks clear of everything.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TA_Freak
Thanks for the response. I feel a bitter better now. I am on my 3rd set of axles and bearings, so I agree that it's not an axle bearing. I do have some other "creaking" noises that may be related to this. I had been thinking possibly dry bushings (and maybe cold weather related?); it's mainly when going over speed bumps and bumps in general. Everything is pretty new except the Bilsteins which probably have 80k on them by now. All bushings back there are rubber except the poly on one side of the panhard rod. I've got some Konis waiting to go in so I'll give it a full inspection while under there. I did just recently install a TSP catback system but it looks clear of everything.
hi
​​​​​​​I have a 98 Trans am that went through 2 rear ends and in the first 5 years owning this car I must have taken it into mutiple dealers about 12 x trying to get it fixed. Mine made a similar sound which was finally found to be the posi clutches not slipping. I started using Mobile 1 additive and it did helped.

Quick Reply: Noise from Rear on slow turns