Assistance learning about the OEM '16+ Camaro LS Diff - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Assistance learning about the OEM '16+ Camaro LS Diff

Old 02-24-2017, 09:32 AM   #1
Teching In

Default Assistance learning about the OEM '16+ Camaro LS Diff

Gentlemen,

As some of you may be aware, there have been a lot of reports of groaning sounds from the OEM diff on the '16+ Camaro SS with the limited slip diff. This issue seems to start after a few thousand miles for a lot of people. It seems to be an issue primarily in colder weather and only persists for the first few turns.

GM has provided a paucity of information about the issue. Thus far, their recommendation seems to be to try changing the diff fluid. In some cases, dealers have replaced the diff. Many owners have reported that the issue reappears after a few thousand miles. My theory is that the issue is with the OEM diff fluid, which seems to have substandard viscosity specs.

I have done some research into the OEM diff fluid and posted the results for feedback in the huge thread below for those that may be curious.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=504

I am reaching out to the group here for assistance determining the OEM source for the diff. Is it an Eaton? Anyone know any specifics about the type of unit and maker? If not, any idea how to figure that out? I have tried cross referencing the part number and it seems to be specific to the Camaro. I feel this may be useful in getting some additional insight about aftermarket gear oil options, as well as a preferred friction modifier, since there are differences between the various products on the market.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
stook1 is offline   Reply With Quote